Remember Miiverse and the eShop are just websites, updating the firmware is only half the part. Expect more news tonight.
— Daniel Vuckovic (@VOOK64) October 1, 2013
- Output video & sound to the TV and/or Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode (The GamePad only displays Wii games. You cannot play from it)
- Automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
- Support for USB keyboards
- An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
- Support for Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound when playing Wii software
Changes to Wii U Menu:
- Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List
Changes to System Settings:
- An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under \”Internet\”
- A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through \”TV\”
- Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
- A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under \”Power Settings\” when Standby Functions are enabled
Changes to Wii U Chat:
- Added the option to view a friend\’s profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
- Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad
Changes to Internet Browser:
- Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
- Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
- Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login (Setting can be deleted from the Internet Browser settings menu)
- Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
- Added support for viewing PDF files (PDFs cannot be saved)
- Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
Here are some screenshots taken from my Wii U. The quality of these shots are actually pretty great. It\’s also worth noting that screenshots from the game are based on the actual resolution the game is running in.
Here is some updated information from Nintendo\’s Network Services Agreement:
The Network Services may permit you to transfer some or all of your data, information, account balances, and Digital Content between Nintendo Devices that you own, or between your Network Accounts. Please refer to the User Manual for more information on this feature.
Original: If you tried turning on your Wii U recently, you should have been met with, first, a message asking you to accept an updated Nintendo Network license agreement and, second, a proceeding message asking to you to download and install a new Wii U firmware update.
Based on the information we\’ve currently gathered, the update is can take from 30 minutes up to an hour long. This is an interesting time for Nintendo to release a new firmware update as a 3DS and Wii U Nintendo Direct will be taking place tomorrow. There have also been rumors going around that the Fall Update would be available for download tomorrow, likely sometime after the Nintendo Direct.
This should be a global update (NA, EU, JP) and the download is a fairly big 648MB. Currently, it is unknown exactly what this new Wii U system update does (I stumbled upon it minutes ago trying to watch Netflix) as Nintendo hasn\’t even updated any of their Wii U firmware update log pages, but we\’ll be sure to update you soon when we get the details.