What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by ZyroXZ2, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 Well-Known Member

Having posted my video review of DKC:TF just yesterday, something occurred to me that I wanted to mention...
    I sat through the credits, and watched them roll in their entirety. This game had a rather small staff. With Retro Studios being rumored to be closer to 100 employees, I can't help but think that this game was done with a smaller team, while the rest of the employees were either helping Nintendo with other projects, or are, in fact, developing another game silently. Anyone else who watched the credits is welcome to chime in! Do you think Retro Studios is working on another game or just assisting other Nintendo projects?
  2. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Well-Known Member

Retro's been working on a game engine.

http://nintendoeverything.com/retro-says-wii-u-is-a-powerhouse-new-game-has-been-in-the-works-for-a-few-months/
  3. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Curiouser and curiouser
  4. nerdman

nerdman pig's gotta fly

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3
  5. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus Well-Known Member

According to GoNintendo, Retro confirmed they're working on another project...

I'm EXCITED !!!!!!

Source : http://www.gonintendo.com/s/223336-retro-calls-wii-u-a-powerhouse-confirms-work-on-new-mystery-game
  6. ItsSilverLPs

ItsSilverLPs Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they're helping on Miyamoto's new IP.
  7. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

They're not :>
  8. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

9. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

Out of curiosity, if there current credit roles lists around 100 people; how many were displayed in there prior games? (DKC: Returns and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption) I know they have gained and lost people since then.
  10. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

Or we could listen to Kelbaugh and Tanabe, as quoted by GS:

This [new] game has been in development for a few months now, as Retro wrapped work on Tropical Freeze in November and hasn't been sitting by idly, Kelbaugh assured us.

This is after Kelbaugh already said they only do one major project at a time, while providing a little help to other developers here or there as they can. The comments here align perfectly. What Retro was really doing was Donkey Kong. There doesn't appear to be any Retro-2 team doing a second major project. When the lion's share of DKCTF was done, they started on a new game a few months ago. If it's a two-year window, we'd be lucky to see it holiday 2015.
  11. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

^^^ However members of Retro have stated that they have grown to a size and maturity that they could split their team two on separate projects.
  12. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Again they were working on a game engine :p
  13. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

I think Laer is right on this one, they could have had a large chunk of the staff working on a new game engine. DKC TF still ran on the Metroid Prime engine from all those years ago, and is in need of a major overhaul to take advantage of the new hardware. Im expecting to see Retro show a video at E3.
  14. Cyan

Cyan Well-Known Member

Featured User

The feel when i cant like Laers post on tapitalk

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk
  15. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

Shin'en developed their own engine after they finished work on Nano Assault Neo, so it's possible that Retro are currently doing the same for their next title since the current engine is outdated. Tropical Freeze appears to be quite a great looking, thanks to the art style, but it wouldn't surprise me if Retro are working on a current-gen engine.
  16. ZyroXZ2

Hahaha, oh man, my timing is too funny sometimes... I had a Hype Train episode that ended up airing 2 hours before the official ND, and now my conjecture and speculation on Retro Studios was followed by the article Laer posted (I saw this, too, a couple hours after I created this thread!).
    It's like the knew people like me would be looking at the credits roll, and start wondering what else they're up to. Instead of letting people like me create massive hype speculation letdowns, they figured they'd just say something I guess, lol :p
  17. ZyroXZ2

Yea, that came after my thread, so I hope you're not saying that I needed to have read something that didn't exist when I created the thread, haha :p
  18. ZainreFang

ZainreFang New Member

So looking forward to what they have in store. Since i'm playing through Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze only with my brother, and collecting everything as we go, i'm only at World 3! Too darn slow for me.
  19. ZyroXZ2

I hope your little brother is pretty good at it, because the game starts hard, and gets harder in the second half, haha
  20. Ex-Actarus

I'm actually surprised it's not the case yet.
  21. SquirrelEmperor

SquirrelEmperor Member

Well... Monster Games helped with DKC:TF with level design, art and engineering. Perhaps they helped so that Retro could set up a small core group to start pre-production on their next project? Or they helped because the game has a lot of content that needed to be created? Who knows. It'll probably be a couple years before we see anything.
  22. ZyroXZ2

It really is interesting the way Nintendo has its own teams spread out. Retro Studios also helped with Mario Kart 7 (and probably is helping with Mario Kart 8, too). Truth be told, I think eventually, Nintendo will have some much cross-development between teams, we're just going to start calling them all "Nintendo" games, haha
  23. hogge

hogge Active Member

I'd hope for them making a spiritual successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Realistic-ish weapons, humans to shoot, open worlds, missions to complete in your own way. After all, Retro do have experience with FPS-type games.

OR, I'd like Nintendo to strike a deal with Rockstar, so that Retro can create a new, Wii U exclusive Grand Theft Auto entry. Which would of course be set in Vice City.
  24. Fadelzz

Fadelzz New Member

Retro Studios confirmed a few days ago they're making a new game the other day when they spoke about the Wii U being a "powerhouse". But with Retro, I could never specifically guess what they're doing. They could be working/Helping on Nintendo's new IP that Miyamoto is working out, could be StarFox for Wii U, Metroid, or another franchise returning, since they seem to be good at reviving these old games haha.
  25. SquirrelEmperor

SquirrelEmperor Member

Monster Games has been praised for their work on porting Donkey Kong Country: Returns to 3DS and the levels they worked on. Because of that, they were asked to help work on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. They helped with level design, art and engineering. Would Nintendo really want Retro Studios to work on a new DKC game when they could have Monster Games work on one instead? It might be something to consider. Wii U doesn’t need another DKC game at the moment. 3DS would be perfect and safe. It'd also give Monster Games the opportunity to work on something a bit bigger for Nintendo and take their game to the next level.

However, Monster Games might be used to help other studios instead. They helped Retro Studios with DKC:TF, so it’s possible they could help them with their next project as well.

Either way, I don’t see Retro Studios working on another DKC game. Not when Monster Games has shown that they’re capable of working on one.

I personally think Retro Studios will work on either Metroid or Star Fox. I don’t see them working on a new IP. Not with how Nintendo does things. New Nintendo IPs are based on gameplay ideas that may require a new character if it is unique enough. They’ll also probably want Retro Studios to work on something safe. Especially with how poorly the Wii U is selling right now. By safe, I mean being able to work on any Nintendo IP they want (unless it’s already in development).
  26. ZyroXZ2

Haha, I just responded to something like this on a different thread. I actually DON'T want Nintendo dabbling in the FPS genre, here's a copy and paste of my response in that thread:
    "I hate to say this, but I wouldn't want Nintendo getting into the FPS genre. The games industry already has so much of that, and from well established "FPS developers" and also from well established franchises. I think Nintendo is smart to have not walked into that territory, because it's territory that's well-trodden and also well-established. They'd be walking in as the "newbie", and we all know how newbies are treated by those kinds of gamers, lol
    Essentially, rather than try to "me-too" their way into the over-saturated FPS genre, Nintendo needs to do what Sony/MS have basically done: stay out of the genres they don't do well in. Sony/MS have tried to dabble into the genres that Nintendo excels at (platformers, party games, mini-games), and as we can see, they did NOT succeed in going against Nintendo because Nintendo is so well-established in these areas. Nintendo would NOT succeed going against Sony/MS by dabbling in the FPS genre, because if the two who pour money into their games couldn't steal platforming/kart racing/mini-game thunder from Nintendo, what makes you think Nintendo can even begin to succeed in the FPS market?
    Just my thoughts, lol :p "
  27. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

^ They say that because Retro's made up of the folks who worked on all the FPS's on the N64.

When it comes to retro, Im apart of the new concept camp.

I want them to do something totally bizarre and fantastical next.

Something that gets me going.

Something I havent seen before.

But I'd also take an Action RPG
  28. lAZY ][S

lAZY ][S Member

The project we have been waiting for is coming. All will be revealed in June at E3...

# I know nothing
  29. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

^^^I actually think you might not be far off from the prospect of Retro revealing their next game in some form at E3. Let's face it, Nintendo needs to drop some bombshells and megatons, Zelda alone won't do it. There needs to be a lot more revealed to keep gamers such as ourselves interested. Now I will say that Reggie has been right in saying that gamers are insatiable because we demand so much from Nintendo these days. But the truth of the matter is that having just one big reveal from a major event such as E3 won't the Wii U much good.
    If Retro does in fact show off their next game, whatever that may be, it might instill some much needed interest in the platform. That being said, I'm just as excited for all the Indie titles coming out, and it's possible a lot more are being considered for the Wii U (based on that recent article of the 50+ Indie games coming to the Wii U). Wouldn't it be something if Nintendo collaborated with some highly regarded small developers and gave them the keys to Starfox, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Wave Race, etc, and under the guidance of Nintendo. Sort of training these developers to become bigger and better developers. Because if there's one thing Nintendo is very good at, it's guiding developers into the right realm of thinking for game design. Retro Studios when they were developing Metroid Prime is definite proof of that.
  30. Ex-Actarus

So true...
    I would love Retro being responsible for the next Metroid game.
    But honestly, the best for the Wii U would be a complete new franchise coming from no where, The Last of Us style.
    This would intrigue and excite more people than a Metroid or Zelda game imo.
    Nintendo desperately needs new franchises and I think it's time fo Retro to show what they can do.
  31. ZyroXZ2

I'm sticking with revival for Retro Studios... I mean, it's in their studio's NAME: RETRO Studios... RETRO. Retro Studios revives old franchises in glory, and they've done it twice, I'd be happy with a third time! They already say lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, but I think Retro Studios can strike a third time!
  32. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

STAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTROPICS
  33. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

This could be pretty cool. They could do so much with it, cool lore, cool blend of aesthetics, a genre blend; If they really want that money, they could also go for the whole "80's throwback" thing, that shit's insanely successful right now, and we may just be at the breaking point before it becomes tiresome for people.
  34. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

Nah, enough with the revivals. I'm with Ex on this one and have actually had this opinion for some time.

For the past 2 months, the only interest I've had is in my PC and Nintendo 3DS (Any interest in my Wii U is because of Most Wanted U and Pikmin occasionally). You'd think that I'm playing my 3DS for all the great Nintendo first party games, but I'm not. My 3DS is populated with franchises I've never played before. Why? Because I already know what to expect out of the traditional ones I've played that they no longer interest me that much anymore. Nintendo's formula is and has been broken. If they honestly thought they could reproduce their main franchises every gen and everyone would be satisfied then they truly were blinded by success. Such a reality would make their franchises priceless and they'd never have to lift a finger again.

Thankfully, this is not how the industry works and it's great Nintendo is realizing this. Unfortunately, I really doubt we're going to see the fruits of Nintendo's efforts so early unless they've actually been making moves to change for a few years now.

Anyway, so if Retro is working on a new project, it better be a new IP if Nintendo wants to show that they get it. Else, the revived franchise would have to be reinvented to a point that looks like a truly new experience, but you can only reinvent a franchise until it stops being that franchise.
  35. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

I just want a new IP for the love of christ from Retro
    they're ability to create a new franchise will determine if they really are still a good studio
  36. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

I want a new IP as much as the next guy, but lets not go too far lol. Not so much that they aren't able to, I think Nintendo just keeps seeing dollar signs with their old IPs.
  37. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

eventually, if nintendo keeps going like this their old IPs won't be making a profit
  38. Ex-Actarus

I'm wondering what a game like Raven Blade would look like today.

I mean that vaporware was conceived before the GC. Before Retro had ANY credentials.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwcNdUozlY
  39. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

I would honestly love to see a return to Raven Blade, or at least something like it. I love Metroid Prime, it's a top game of mine, and that definitely helped Retro get off the ground. Nintendo needs to allow them to soar, though
  40. Mr-Chris

Mr-Chris -Smashing!-

I remember Retro saying that Raven Blade was rubbish or something lol.
    Anyways, I think Retro should revive something so old that it feels like a new franchise, like Kid Icarus Uprising. Star Tropics? Takamarau? Mach Rider? Etc. Just another possibility.
  41. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

Ah, Raven Blade.

You don't want to see a return to Raven Blade, because you'd see a return to Retro not making Prime-level games. Like they did before Nintendo straightened out Spangenberg's mess.
  42. Shadriczo

Shadriczo New Member

Sequel to Metroid Prime, Nuff Said!
  43. Ex-Actarus

@Mike D.
    As I said Retro today is a different beast today.
    One of the top 10 ( if not top 5 ) dev without question for me.
    For sure Raven Blade post Tropical Freeze will be better than Raven Blade pre Metroid Prime...
  44. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

Their old IPs have been making a profit for 20+ years and I don't see that slowing down anytime soon
  45. hogge

hogge Active Member

Nintendo have boatloads of IP's people want to see, but haven't seen for many years. The only problem I can see is that Nintendo have chosen to stick Mario on everything and that they make stuff noone asked for (Super Luigi, Dr. Luigi, Nintendoland) when there are these bucketloads of other stuff people are begging for and have been begging for for the last decade.
  46. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

The cults of their old IPs like Mother beg for new games, but those types of cults are notoriously vocal. StarTropics 3 would sell less than the Zelda CDi games
  47. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I remember Retro saying that Raven Blade was rubbish or something lol.
    Anyways, I think Retro should revive something so old that it feels like a new franchise, like Kid Icarus Uprising. Star Tropics? Takamarau? Mach Rider? Etc. Just another possibility.

Exactly.
    I think we need a reborn of an old title, better if it's very old.
    I agree that Nintendo needs a new title, but not now. They've got lot of titles that everyone needs to "see in HD", I think it's the better approach now. Wii U needs now Metroid, Zelda, Kirby and others.

Actually, what Retro should make is

Duck Hunt Prime!!!!!!!!
    An HD FPA of course!!!
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  48. ZyroXZ2

Actually, a modern Duck Hunt using the Wiimote isn't such a bad idea... Of course, it can't look photorealistic or there would be PETA all over the place, lol
    • Like Like x 1
  49. solitanze

solitanze RoboPoster™

I recall last time Retro Studios were quizzed on the rationale of opting for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze as their most recent game project, they said something along the lines of that it was down to Donkey and Metroid, but ultimately went with Donkey Kong. In theory, that could mean another Metroid instalment could be in the works for Wii U right now, but then again, they might be working on something else entirely. In any case, even if their latest game is not a state to be formally unveiled or discussed in any great detail, some sort of detail should still surface at E3 at least to give some sort of idea of what this latest game project is or might be.
  50. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Just sharing.

Official Nintendo magazine Nintendo World #179 interviewed Retro:

After Samus and DK, which character would Retro like to work with?

Michael Kelbaugh: We're happy and blessed for we can work with loved characters. When we get the "And now?", we think: "What does a Nintendo fan want?". It could be a game based on a franchise that already exists or something totally new. Which franchises would we like to work? Anyone that's fun to play and to make.

Kensuke Tanabe: When we think about a new project, our goal is to meet Nintendo fans expectations. It doesn't need to be something new. We can "dig" something from the past. It was what we done with Metroid and DKC.
    • Like Like x 2