The Second Annual TNE October/Halloween Thread Massacre

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by CitizenOfVerona, Oct 1, 2016.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

What's up TNE. We had a few new people join us this year so I'll just give the run down right quick like. I'm a big fan of October, Autumn and Halloween. I like making a thread for everyone to discuss what they're doing. Watch a horror/thriller/suspense movie? Write up here and give your thoughts. Document your playthrough of horror games or books. Need ideas for costumes? Brainstorm here. Etc, etc.

Also, this year I have an idea for a contest. I won't say how to win, but all I'll say is if you post in the thread you'll have a chance, but there is something you can do to better your chances, that's the only hint I'll give.

So what's the reward? Either one video games on Steam up to full price (so no 100+ premium editions stuff), or an Amazon gift card to order a game online. I know not everyone here has a Steam account, so that's why I'm giving the choice. If you go with the Steam award that'll make my life easier, but Amazon has a thing where you can email a gift card code, never did it but should be easy enough. So good luck to everyone here.

I think that about sums it up. I found last year this thread would go a few days without many posts, so every now and then I'll ask a question to give it a bump, i.e. what's your favorite scary movie or something.

To start it off I'll just ask if you have any plans for Halloween this year or if you have any traditions of your own.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  2. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

This year for our Halloween activities, our group of 8 are doing two different things.

First up, tonight, we are headed to Busch Gardens Tampa for Howl-O-Scream.

[​IMG]
    We go every year. Not only are there 8 haunted houses, but you get to ride all the major coasters as well. Runs from about 8pm to 1 am. Scary, thrilling, always a good time. When my best friend Dia gets scared, she sounds like Goofy falling off a cliff.

Later in the month, we're going to the Black Diamond Burlesque Haunted Masquerade!
    [​IMG]

It's sexy, classy, sassy, and just so much fun! There will be fire eaters...

[​IMG]

As well as tons of strip teases, stripping to live music, acrobatic acts, and so much more. All with a Halloween theme.

Here are some photos I took on my phone at the most recent show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sure more October/Halloween activities will come up, but this is what we've got on tap so far!
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  3. CitizenOfVerona

Clowns and puppets kinda freak me out so I don't know how I'd be able to deal with the Howl-O Scream. Slappy from Goosebumps scared me as a kid and I'm still uncomfortable around them. I don't think Clowns started by anything in particular, but they always needed to just be far away from me.

I'd go to the Burlesque show though. I posted in the CT that I went to a strip club last night and it wasn't all that great, but if a Halloween themed Burlesque show is something that I'd check out.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. sjmartin79

Yeah, clowns terrify me. And there is a whole house of clowns. They always make me go first in that one. But I love a good scare.

And the Burlesque show is amazing. They want you to hoot, holler, and catcall. I'' excited for the Halloween themed show. I know my opinion as a gay man isn't the most accurate, but I never did like strip clubs. Something about the Burlesque, much sexier and so much more fun.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

Really not sure this year. Last year I went to Anime USA with two of my best friends and had a great time (and yup, there was a burlesque show there, too). This year that convention will be from Oct. 21-23, and they haven't invited me (which is understandable; couples gotta couple). A few of my co-workers want to make a Halloween room in our office, but I'm not exactly sure of the point there (our office isn't in the middle of the building or anything).

That aside? Ummm...mainlining seasons two and three of Penny Dreadful. Playing Order of Ecclesia.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. CitizenOfVerona

When I use to work at a call center, people there would decorate. It was only for the call center itself so no one outside of our work would see it, but I guess it's nice. Beats working with a bunch of Scrooge's.

Speaking of Order of Ecclesia, I'm still wondering which Castlevania(s) to play. I'm think of Adventure: Rebirth and maybe a Metroidvania one too. Perhaps Circle of the Moon or Portrait of Ruin. Hmm, decisions.

It's also been 2 years this month since I moved in. I remember it well - no internet so I played through Bayonetta 2, Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance. Watched Coraline for the first time and cried my eyes out at Frankenweenie. Good times.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I don't know what I'm doing this month. But I did install some spooky games from my Steam backlog in anticipation for this thread:

Alien Isolation - I'm replaying it with the unpredictable alien mod to see how that changes the experience.

Atom Zombie Smasher - I bought it many years ago and will finally play it. It's an RTS in which you try to rescue as many civilians from a zombie apocalypse even in a city.

Betrayer - It looks like some spooky ghost psychological action occurs frequently, I don't know for sure.

Dispatcher - It's a "derelict space ship" kind of game from what I understand, so I'm excited to play it. There's also some DLC coming this month, I think, so I'll have plenty to dig into.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy - I don't know, some woman has a phobia of water and there's lots of water in this game, I guess it should be spooky.

I Am Alive - some post-apocalyptic game I never got around to playing.

Lone Survivor - spooky indie game from a few years back.

Scratches - I think it's a point-and-click adventure game. The highlight is supposed to be some nice jump-scares and sound effects.

System Shock 2 - That AI wants to kill you.

UNLOVED - It's a remaster of a doom 2 mod, I think, so it's generally just gory cheesy action, which is fine.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - It's often praised alongside the original Deus Ex, so we'll see.

And maybe I should finally get Fatal Frame on the Wii U.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Jack Lovejoy

Jack Lovejoy Active Member

Im gonna play more Sonic Rom Hacks, except they are halloween themed.

I am gonna dress up as Shigeru Miyamoto's ghost
    [​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 1
  9. DarkDepths

DarkDepths Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

I don't have any specific plans for Halloween yet. Halloween has never really been a big occasion for me. I mostly remember it as the time of year when Scooby-Doo would suddenly become more prevalent.

That said, I do like spookiness, so I'm looking forward to things becoming spooky.

Regarding strip-clubs and etc... I live, almost literally, right next to one. There are a few small shops inbetween but that's all - don't even have to cross a street. But I've never gone in and frankly I can't imagine myself ever doing so.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

For halloween this year, I know my good friend is having her annual party at her house on the 28th, and last year I was Mr. Clean. This year I was thinking about something totally different. What exactly? Well, since I study martial arts, I've always wanted to dress up like your typical hollywood style Ninja. But I don't want to spend really any money, but I've searched that you can use typical clothes you have at home, and makeshift them into a Ninja outfit. Thought about giving it a try, and putting my own little spin on it.

I hope to play Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within this month, and also finally finish ZombiU, and RE: Revelations. This would be the month to do it.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. CitizenOfVerona

I think the main horror game this month though is Condemned. Perhaps I'll borrow The Evil Within as well, wash out the taste of RE Revelations :p
    • Like Like x 2
  12. CitizenOfVerona

Just got back from a friend's house and we watched Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight.

It...wasn't really a good movie. It was a pretty alright episode of the show though if you look at it that way. It's cheesy and gory, it made me laugh and it made me go "ooooh fuck" at something gross or bloody. Hearing the Crypt Keeper's laugh though brought me back to being a kid and getting scared shitless over the cartoon. If only I knew the real life version was what it was, I would have had a mental breakdown.

I was a big wimp as a kid.
  13. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

my Halloween buddy lives out of town now, so I probably don't have anyone to really hang with... we used to get together and watch horror movies and such... I'll enjoy the atmosphere this month, then be sad and lonely on the 31st... probably end the evening with a sad masturbation session lol... I dunno... I'll do some stuff for the site (TVE) on the last week of the month.... i have set story types for most days of the week.... tuesday is top 10 lists, wednesday is spotlight (recommending lesser known shows), thursday is podcast, friday is news video, saturday is off, sunday is comic strip...
    so I'll probably theme the week out, which I have done before... some kind of halloween themed top 10 list, spotlight on a lesser known horror series, probably do a halloween episode of the podcast ( a bit hard to do, we already did one)... might decorate my room and wear a costume for the news show.... and the comic strip will be horror themed for sure... besides that.. I dunno
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Shoulder

Have you played The Evil Within by any chance?
  15. CitizenOfVerona

My friend owns it and I did one little section involving rotating blades and whatnot. I liked what I saw though
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Shoulder

I feel a "co-op" play through of sorts this month. You play The Evil Within, I play The Evil Within, and we compare and contrast on our different experiences.
  17. CitizenOfVerona

Sure. I'll be playing Doom and tomb Raider this month too, but Evil Within should be a nice night/weekend game. I'll talk to my friend and see if they'll lend it to me
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Shoulder

I need to give DOOM another chance on PS4, but I'm still not partial with dual analog. I'll give it another shot.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. EvilTw1n

Alas, no Anime USA this year; had a great dinner with my friends last night, and it turns out they could only get a room for two (circumstances led to a late reservation this year). Bummed to miss out on the assembled geekery, but at least relieved that they just weren't sick of having me go along.

Still...there goes my Halloween fun. :/
  20. CitizenOfVerona

Sorry to hear man. As one of the only single guys in my friend group, it definitely can suck sometimes.

Maybe Kark will win the contest, I'll buy her Metroid, then on Halloween we can all play together.

Although she will have to participate in the contest for that to happen...
  21. CitizenOfVerona

10 days in October now. I'm sadly not feeling it a lot this year.

I did watched Tales of the Crypt: Demon Knight. Not a great movie but it's what I expect from the Crypt: cheesy, gorey and fun.

Also watched the Frighteners. Always weird seeing early Peter Jackson movies. My biggest problem was the tone was all over the place. Sometimes it felt like a Looney Tunes episode, other times it was pretty creepy.

I'll probably start up Condemned next weekend.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

*eight days later*

Wait, I thought I heard my name.

*cricket noises*

Originally I was gonna do Metroidvania month this month, but since I already did one this year I just wasn't really feeling a second so soon afterwards. Shame, cause I wanted an excuse to play Harmony of Dissonance again this year.

Wrote some fluffy family fanfic centered around Sonia and Trevor Belmont during CVweek on tumblr a couple weeks back, though, so that was nice.

praisegrima
  23. EvilTw1n

@repomech has told me I must play Ecclesia, so that's my dedicated Halloween game, but I feel like more Castlevania after beating CotM.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  24. CitizenOfVerona

You never played Ecclesia before? I enjoyed it a lot but maybe it was because I played 9 or so Castlevania back to back when I played it, but it's not my favorite
  25. DarkDepths

I present to you, Halloween is Grinch Night:

Of all the cartoons I've ever watched, I can say without a doubt that this is by far the most recent.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Juegos

Out of the games I said I was going to play, I've played these:

Atom Zombie Smasher - It was a neat concept, but I didn't find it good enough for me to sink my fang into it for hours.

Dispatcher - It's hot garbage. Really amazing graphics though.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy - It's a decent action-adventure game (not much horror, just some chase sequences...with water), but after about 4 hours I decided it had gotten too repetitive and I didn't want to spend any more time playing something that was only decent.

Scratches - This is the one I've enjoyed the most this month. It's just a point-and-click adventure game, where you have to solve the mystery of a house by exploring it and solving puzzles. It's got great a great atmosphere, but there is never any real action (I don't even think you can "fail" at any point). It reminded me of Clock Tower on the SNES, minus the action elements.

UNLOVED - Some people really love this game because of the Doom 2-like shooting, but for me it wasn't enough. It is enjoyable, but not so much that I'll sit through what is essentially a grind-a-thon. I'm sure it's a lot of fun with friends, though.

I also played Bloodrayne: Betrayal. I was surprised to see that it's made by Wayforward, because it isn't very good at all. The combat would be nice if the controls weren't clunky, and the levels are very repetitive.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Shoulder

@CitizenOfVerona I gave DOOM on PS4 another chance from the controller perspective, and my issue was going from Killzone: Shadow Fall to this, which didn't help. Whereas DOOM is fast and twitchy, KZ:SF is slower, and more weighty in its feel, so that took me by surprise.

Have you tried the multiplayer by any chance? I feel between the two of us, and whoever else would want to, we could have some good ole fashioned online fun with this, you know? Like the old COD days.

@juegosmajicos Get your ass to the store and get a PS$ with DOOM, so we can get a group together.

And yes, COV, I will get DOOM for PS4. Btw, did you ever try out the RE7 demo yet? I've been wanting to, but I fear for my sanity, and pants.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. sjmartin79

For my Halloween game, I'll be playing Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

I played a bit before, but want to dive into it more.
    • Like Like x 4
  29. CitizenOfVerona

I want to play Killzone, but after playing Doom I watched some Youtube gameplay, shit looks slow motion. I don't think I can do that right now haha.

I did try the RE7 demo. It's not really scary. It's tone is good, but I wouldn't actually say scary. It has potential I'll say that. After Revelations though, I'm not excited about the franchise right now. I'll keep an eye on reviews.

I do have PS Plus until November 5 if you want to try Doom's multiplayer, although I heard it's pretty lackluster and not near as good as the single player.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. FriedShoes

FriedShoes Girl Fetishist Staff Member Moderator

I probably wont be doing anything this Halloween except working. Season hasn't been too spooky for me, other then man I forget what I was doing the other night that I couldnt fall asleep afterward.
    Oh well, its probably not weird that I forgot. I saw Blair Witch which was ok but mostly disappointing.

This guy has done 3 of these, 2 of which are appropriate for the season.
    The former is almost perfect, imo, but it overdoes the premise a bit. Still very good.

just remembered, I was looking up 1-man games like Solo Hide and Seek and midnight driver, stuff like that. This dumb Woody doll I have perched up was staring at me throughout and I had to leave my bedroom.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Jack Lovejoy

Jack Lovejoy Active Member

32. Shoulder

Never did play any of the Silent Hill games, but after watching this, I might have to get SH2 for cheap somewhere on PS2.

• Like Like x 1
  33. DarkDepths

Jeez! Give a guy a heads up before you go posting that spooky stuff! Nearly had a heart-attack over here.
    • LOL LOL x 3
  34. CitizenOfVerona

If you haven't played any Silent Hill game I highly recommend 1-3. It's not like the rest of the series is terrible, but yeah, play those. 1 is on the PSN store (at least on PS3), but don't buy the HD collection for the love of God.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. sjmartin79

This weekend, we binged "Friday the 13th" parts 1-4, and also watched "No Good Deed", which is definitely worth a rent if you haven't seen it.
    Also, Steve2, myself, and 2 of our other friends have signed up to be on the next season of Hellevator (gameshow on Game Show Network). We've been binging season 1 on Netflix.

I love Halloween Time!
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  36. CitizenOfVerona

I'm really sad by the fact that I'm not feeling October much this year. I think a big reason is that there isn't a house party this year. I don't think I'll be dressing up. A lot of my friends are talking about going downtown. I'm not big into that idea because George Street (is where a shit ton of bars is, I think I remember reading it has the highest density of bars in all of North America but I could very much be wrong). I think it costs around 20 or 30 dollars just to get on the street Halloween weekend, and for someone like me who doesn't drink much, it's not something I'd look forward to.

Still, I'm trying. A few friends and I watched Halloween last night, always impresses me how well paced these old slasher movies can be.

I think this upcoming weekend I'm visiting a few friends for our annual pumpkin carving/food/horror movies get together.

Finally, on Halloween itself I'll be watching Trick R Treat and inviting a few hands over and probably order pizzas. Still got some good stuff to look forward too, but my heart just isn't in it as much as it usually is this year.
    • Like Like x 2
  37. CitizenOfVerona

Realized in the shower what may be my problem of not really feeling it this year.

Haven't watched/heard this yet

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  38. Juegos

• LOL LOL x 1
  39. CitizenOfVerona

Not available in my country cause Canadians obviously don't want to watch funny stuff.

Fuck that
    • smh... smh... x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  40. CitizenOfVerona

I will say one thing I hate about this time of year, it was down to 2 degrees this morning and my fingers start getting dried out and shit. Gotta lather on that hand cream.
    • Like Like x 1
  41. theMightyME

42. Shoulder

Why is there region locking for Youtube?
  43. theMightyME

I think the settings are there, so by default it isn't region locked, but you can region lock... this all ties into the realities of large international business... same reason you have to use public domain music, or music you own the rights to or a company can pull your video or advertise on it as if it was theirs... it is un-escapable legal bullshit... not sure if the video is region locked by the user, or by somebody with a claim to region rights to something in the video
  44. Shoulder

COV could just use a VPN to get around it perhaps.
  45. sjmartin79

This Saturday we're headed to Scream-a-Geddon! Last year was its first year, and it was damn scary, so I'm excited to see what they do this year to improve upon that.
    Also, it's one of the few haunted attractions where in some of the houses they are allowed to touch you/grab you. We started one house as a group of 8, and by the time we were exiting, we were coming out in 1s and 2s because we had been intentionally separated. Good times!

http://www.screamageddon.com/
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  46. Shoulder

So the other week, I was hanging out with some good friends of mine, and we got to talking about custom ideas, and brought up some of their own ideas of what I could be. They ended up settling on me being a magic 8-ball with the "8" being painted onto my bald head, with the rest of my head painted black (and of course wearing black clothes).

I'm a little apprehensive about painting my whole head black, but it would be all in good fun. I also have an idea of having a set of cards with all the original magic 8-ball answers on them for people to see what their fortune/answer is after they shake my head.

Any of you guys have some ideas for my magic 8-ball costume? I am not wearing a giant ball around my waist though.
  47. sjmartin79

I love the idea of Magic 8 Ball! You could have a spiral notebook type of thing hanging from your neck, spirals pointed toward your neck, with the answers written on them that you can flip through to show people.
    But with the answers from the 8 ball, you could also include bitchy sarcastic answers like "You will die alone", "Get another cat", or "No one likes you".
  48. theMightyME

Were a plain black mask so you don't have to paint your face, then paint everywhere else on your head

[​IMG]
    For full effect paint around your eyes too
  49. Shoulder

I feel that would be even more creepy.

I could wear a black mask as if I were some ninja. The Magic 8-ball Ninja. Instead of throwing stars, I throw answer to your fortune. Some will be more hurtful than others.
  50. EvilTw1n

Man, it's been a busy-ish October. I haven't even been able to finish up Pandora's Tower, let alone get into Order of Ecclesia. I think the only Halloween-ish thing I've done thus far is mainling Penny Dreadful on Netflix.