The Great CT - Community Thread

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by mattavelle1, Apr 9, 2015.

1. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  2. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Man!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  3. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Thanks guys! I brought in my birthday by fighting a dragon until 5am with a group of 7 other guys in my D&D party last night (into morning.) It was quite epic. Nothing like casting an illusion spell to make the broken dragon idol statue come back to life and start eating fake enemies to scare them away from the room. Good times were had with many drinks and lots of coffee.

dnd-comic55.jpg
    This is so freakin' true. Best way to cook hot dogs.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
  4. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    Sakurai is a 4D chess player for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  5. Socar

Socar Active Member

I read it and its still not possible for me even after saving up a lot of money. I don't even know if Nintendo will provide me the dev kits if I'm from around Asia to begin with. I need to move to a location where people KNOW Nintendo to begin with and in the middle east Asia, Nintendo is not even mentioned there.

For now, the jobs I'm thinking about doing are something like being a security guard, a farmer, shopkeeper or running a mall store.

Happy birthday @simplyTravis
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DarkDepths

DarkDepths Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

https://developer.nintendo.com/register/create

Note that you can choose "India" as your country. There is no reason to think Nintendo wouldn't ship a devkit to India.
  7. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

India is also a massively growing tech sector and if it's only a matter of time before you start to see major developers opening studios there, just like they did in China and Eastern Europe... Then you can transfer around to other companies if you are valuable
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  8. Socar

Socar Active Member

Look, quit it ok. That is never going to happen to India. They still lack many things that the other countries don't, law isn't well disciplined and if that really was the case, a lot of things wouldn't be that expensive here in India particularly a simple tv.
  9. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

[​IMG]

Seriously, dude, don't be like that. Perhaps right at this very second, it's very difficult to do so, but who says it will stay that way until the day you're at retirement age? I don't say this often, but ye have little faith.
  10. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Had a fucked up dream last night. Ever hear of the hag? (Not sure if that's a Newfoundland thing or not). Basically it's a dream you think is real of an old witch sitting on your chest so you can't move. While I didn't have that, I had a boogie man type person always in the corner of my eye no matter where I looked, I couldn't focus on him. I couldn't move and the people in my dream weren't helping me.

Then I sorta woke up. My eyes were open just enough that I could see the walls in my apartment, but it was like my brain was still in dream mode. The best way I can describe it was like if I was seeing my apartment and the dream room at the same time. I woke myself up after saying stuff like "someone help me" out loud.

Then today I fell in my driveway and now my right ass cheek hurts.

I think today is written off.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Have totally been there. In mine, it's a shadow figure, and I'm unable to scream or make a sound. And 5 or 6 times, I've woken up, and I swear that I've seen the shadow figure in my room or doorway to my room, once I was even sure he was walking toward my bed.
  12. CitizenOfVerona

Scary shit man. Hopefully this isn't a new recurring thing I gotta deal with
  13. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

In Mexico they say, "se te sube el muerto", or the dead lays on top of you. A similar one is death pulling on your feet while you sleep. They seem to both be forms of sleep paralysis. I've never had any sleep paralysis, luckily. Everyone I hear talking about it really hates it.
  14. Shoulder

I have experienced sleep paralysis, and when dreaming it is fucking scary. Hell, it's happened a few times when trying to take a nap, and then you fall asleep, start dreaming, and then you feel conscious enough to be awake, but your body is still in that mode.

I do have a lot of dreams where I can jump incredible distances though. I've been playing too many games...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mattavelle1

Well no sleep for me tonight, I'll see you tomorrow CT:mnerv:
    • LOL LOL x 1
  16. Juegos

Sleep paralysis between tonight and the Switch conference. :mnerv::mnerv:

Edit:
    Sleep paralysis while Switch pre-orders run out.
  17. Socar

Socar Active Member

Faith? You're telling me to have faith in a country that I have lived on for nearly 24 years? In all of those years, nothing has happened. There was barely any change that happened. Nobody takes actions seriously, nobody takes the law seriously and frankly, nobody can even be independent here. My parents forced themselves to get married because back then, it was a sort of tradition to do so and it was the only way that they can survive.

You know what's the saddest part of all of this is? The fact that now that I realized that I can just get the dev kits and make Nintendo games right away and yet, I still can't do that. I have no experience in Unity. I tried learning it but compared to Game Maker, Unity was too difficult for me to learn. Forming my own company requires a lot of cash and even if I have it, I know zero management and my parents would most likely use that point to say that I can't do it. And even if I make a game on game maker and find someone to port it, where am I going to find that and how am I going to do that.

Damn..I'm depressed for the good reasons. I'm now sad that all this time, Nintendo gave the opportunity to make games from any country and I didn't see that until now...I never should have played Super Mario Bros as a kid because otherwise, I would have done a low life job instead like being a security guard or a garbage boy instead.
  18. CitizenOfVerona

There's a joke here about Nintendo and paralysis, but I'm not gonna make it.
    • LOL LOL x 1
  19. DarkDepths

Skills are acquirable. You won't do it overnight, but spend the next year trying to make a somewhat simple game in Unity, and you might just be surprised that at the end of the year, you've made a game.

No it doesn't, you can do business under your own name at no cost.

So? Make a plan with milestones and work towards them. Simple self management isn't complicated. Again, you might just be surprised that you can do it. Prove your parents wrong

Don't. Make it in Unity. You can do it, it will just take time.

No, not good reasons, easy excuses. You can work past them.

Do you know what I do when something is a little bit hard? Give up immediately and settle for less than my dreams! No.. wait... that's not right.

Look, I think you have this perspective that challenges are insurmountable, for you specifically. Let me give you some of my own history to perhaps help illuminate that we all face challenges, and that we can get past them if we try. This, by the way, will probably include details that I haven't shared before...

I'm Canadian. When I was 12, I started making games on my family's antiquated computer. 3D games were popular at the time, but I could barely run Minesweeper, and we just couldn't afford anything better. When I was about 15, we got a newer, second-hand computer. Still a bit outdated, but significantly better than before, and so I started to teach myself 3D games programming.

After high-school, I went to university on loans, in a big city where I knew absolutely no one. The first year, I did OK, but didn't do well socially. Year 2 saw me spiral into depression. In year 3, I essentially shut down and only really left my dorm room to stop myself from starving to death. I was dejected and hopeless. After that, I moved in with my parents.

For about a year, I did nothing except the occasional side project online (TNE anyone?). I was basically as broken as you can get. My dreams of a career I loved had been dashed, I was back living in a tiny town in my parents house with about $30,000 worth of debt, no degree, no friends, no job, and really no hope of a job.

After that year, I found a job at a landfill in the next town over! Every morning, I drove ~50KM to get to work. I then spent 12 hours scraping maggots, garbage, and literal bags of baby shit out of truck trailers. In the summer, the trailers weren't hard to clean because everything was so dry, but inside they reached 50 degrees C and I had to wear full-body coveralls and a full face mask with respirator. In the fall, they were wet, smelled like death, and the walls and sides were covered with garbage and maggots. In the winter, they would reach -40 C (and I couldn't wear a coat because it wouldn't fit beneath the coveralls), and would be full of frozen garbage. I would spend 20 minutes chiseling out mattresses, garbage bags frozen to the walls, and frozen bags of baby shit (which by the way are much more pleasant than the autumn-time version!). When I drove to work in the morning, I had to pass by several lakes. Almost every single day I would fantasize about just veering off the road and hoping the world would think it was an accident. During this time, the Wii U came out. I wanted a devkit, but couldn't even afford a regular console, so it was out of the question. (I still don't have a Wii U, btw).

I decided to go back to school, but I was reaching the maximum amount of allowable loans. So after saving enough money (about a year's worth of shit-shoveling), I returned to school. A different, smaller school. I maxed out my loans, and depleted all my savings. But I also made several good friends and, in 2015, graduated at the top of my class. I got a job as a software developer where I continue to work today.

I'm still ~$30,000 in debt, but I'm much happier now. And there is also a new Nintendo console coming. I have every intention of getting my hands on a Switch devkit, and I think I probably will make it a priority. Of course, we'll have to see what the associated costs are, but I think I can do it now.

Things turned around for me, and they can for you as well. The biggest thing you can do is try. You thought you couldn't get a devkit in India, how long did you consider that to be a blocker? It took me only a few minutes to discover that you can probably do it if you want to.

If you want to do it, you can do it. Maybe not tomorrow... it's taken me about 7 years to get to a better place where I can finally start to really pursue my passion. But now that I'm here, I'm glad I spent the time and effort. Was it hard? Absolutely. Did it suck? Yep. Did I often feel like there was no hope? Basically every day.

If you really want to make games and have them on Nintendo consoles, you can do it. It's just a matter of whether you are willing to put in the effort to overcome your challenges.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 7
  20. CitizenOfVerona

Night TNE. Don't let the Hag get you

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  21. DarkDepths

You sunovagun... I hope the hag does get you...
    • LOL LOL x 1
  22. Socar

Socar Active Member

@DarkDepths

Problem is that I didn't major in programming. The fact that I'm familiar with Game Maker and still have a lot to learn from it and still struggling from it is itself depressing to me.

idk...I'm not as depressed as before right now, but I just don't know if I can do it...
  23. DarkDepths

You don't need to go to school to learn to program. There are a tonne of resources online. I taught myself enough when I was 15. You just have to put the time and effort in. You can do it. And if you don't think so, then prove me wrong. Spend the next year honestly trying to make a little game in Unity. The results may surprise you.
  24. Socar

Socar Active Member

Ok, I give it a shot. If I have issues, can I ask you for help in Unity?

I first tried the tutorial that Unity themselves gave but I had a lot of errors that I don't know how to fix those errors.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. DarkDepths

Yep. I'm not a Unity expert, but I'll offer what help I can.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  26. CitizenOfVerona

Good news, no hag last night.
    • Like Like x 4
  27. theMightyME

are we going to get daily hag reports? please say we will lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  28. mattavelle1

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  29. DarkDepths

So I didn't see a hag last night, but something else weird happened. I took night-time cold medicine, which I'm sure helped cause this.

You know how kitchen garbage bags come in a roll? Well, when I woke up this morning, there was a whole roll of them unrolled and crumpled up on the bed beside me. Seeing this triggered a memory in which, in the middle of the night, I was lying in bed after somehow acquiring the roll of bags and furiously unrolling them and trying to separate them, but failing miserably.

I assume that I thought they were kleenex or something, since they're white, but I have no idea what was going on there...
    • LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  30. CitizenOfVerona

I once took all the bed sheets off my bed and bundled them up in my arms. I then went to the couch with the sheets in arm.

I was sleep waking while doing this too.

edit: Also walked into my parents room and asked for "the thing" repeatedly
    • LOL LOL x 4
  31. simplyTravis

Hey guys we are getting a Gaming Scramble LIVE podcast together on Thursday at 7:30 pm PT before the Nintendo Switch reveal! We will then meet back up after the show for our thoughts and to take questions/comments. If you want to participate get in contact with me or jump into the TNE Chatango chat were we will be answering questions and taking comments before and after the show!

The Gaming Scramble Youtube LIVE Stream

Gaming-Scramble-Logo3.png
    LIVE LIVE LIVE! Did I mention it was going to be LIVE?!?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  32. simplyTravis

By the way...we can play some bingo during the show ;)

[​IMG]
  33. Socar

Socar Active Member

Dude...that's so depressing. You know better than that!

Anyways, somehow I don't feel depressed anymore and I don't feel like wanting to quit and all.....huh....guess I don't need to blame this year for my frustration then.....
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  34. Socar

Socar Active Member

Oh I forgot to mention my first impressions on Pokemon Moon!

So far, I've beaten trial 1 and its good so far. I dig the new Alola pokemon designs from the previous regions. They easily appeal to both those who are familiar with them and those who haven't played the previous games.

However...I'm not so sure that getting rid of the gym battles was a good idea. Usually, those were the most strategic part of the entire series and very memorable and yet its still easy to beat them. Here, I don't see much of strategy over here other than the Totem Pokemon and even that one wasn't much of a threat.

But idk if that will ruin the ENTIRE experience of the game...i guess its a nitpick for now...

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to get Bellum who will grow into a badass Metagross!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Oh and btw, any idea what time I can watch the Switch presentation live from my place? I think I should watch it at 12:00 PM but idk about that.....
    • Like Like x 1
  35. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Just wait, the trials and battles definitely get more interesting. Pokemon Moon is definitely my favorite evolution of the Pokemon series.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Juegos

I believe it will be at 9:30 AM for you. It's going to be at 10:00 PM for us here in Central Time, and you seem to be 11:30 hours ahead of us.
  37. Socar

Socar Active Member

So how long is the presentation?
  38. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

niconico's schedule suggests its an hour long, I think Nintendo also said as much. Its live though, so I expect it to be shorter.
  39. theMightyME

And to start later... Live stuff is never on time
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

very disappointed to hear about Scalebound. i don't know if i would have picked it up, but the xb1 needs more games this year. it looked interesting, to say the least.
    • Like Like x 2
  41. mattavelle1

That game made me jelly it was X1 I'll be honest.
    • Like Like x 2
  42. Juegos

That game is the one reason I would have had to install Windows 10. Sucks that we'll have to wait a few more years for another Kamiya-directed game.
    • Like Like x 2
  43. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

Less than two weeks away from being a maid of honor at a good friend's wedding, on my birthday, in the middle of fucking winter, in a dress ill suited for cold temperatures because, and I quote "we're gonna be inside, we don't need to dress warm". And I'm like "bitch you've got us all posing for photos outside after the ceremony, which last I checked outside was, you know, fucking outside". Then she thinks about it for a couple minutes, pales, and then says "I'm gonna call the photographer and let him know we're just taking photos in the church".

I am happy for her though, the guy she's marrying is a real stand-up dude who has got a good head on his shoulders. Ain't half bad to look at, either.

praisegrima
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Juegos

I was also a groomsman for a close friend this past new year's eve. It felt good, and it was a great couple of days. We also took photos outside during the sunset, but you know, it's Texas. And our suits weren't very revealing or anything.

Get that couple married real good. :msrs:
    • Like Like x 3
  45. theMightyME

wasn't itnerested much in the game, but the dragon models were sweet, hopefully they keep some of those for other games.. cannibalize their resources
    • Like Like x 2
  46. DarkDepths

I was a groomsman once. My suit was revealing in one way only: it revealed how good I look in a suit.
    • Like Like x 3
    • LOL LOL x 2
  47. mattavelle1

OHHHHHHHH BABY SO EXCITED ABOUT TONIGHT!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  48. CitizenOfVerona

• Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  49. Shoulder

Yup. Really excited.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  50. CitizenOfVerona

@simplyTravis

Hey, so just saw your question about how does FFXV and XCX stack up to each other. I don't really know if you can compare the two besides them being open world RPG's.

FFXV's combat is real time with blocks and parries. Upgrading your skills is done through various skill trees like Combat, Teamwork, Magic, etc. The world is tackled differently since you can't moon jump your way up a mountain in FFXV. Your car and choccobo is your best friend for getting places.

Side quests are kinda lame. They're the typical go here kill this, or go here and find this. Surprisingly there is no "find 10 of these random items" though which is nice. There is one guy who'll upgrade certain weapons for a specific object, but that's really it. Item collection is limited to a "I need this type of ore found in this location".

The story does feel like certain things have been cut. It helps to watch the movie and anime which I'm not 100% on board with. I feel a story in a game should have enough info to stand on it's own but I would say the movie is mandatory. I do feel some later bits of the story were also cut or they're saving for dlc. Certain "things" just happen off screen and you're expected to just move on.

I love the game despite some short comings. Rarely do I continue playing after the credits roll but I'm still playing, at level 82 and still have dungeons and super bosses to tackle. I'm taking a bit of a break now but I'll probably pick it up again on my next day off.
    • Like Like x 3