The Completionist SFZ "Review", and why it's complete bullshit....

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by TheAmazingLSB, Apr 25, 2016.

1. TheAmazingLSB

TheAmazingLSB PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

imageedit_1_9127697326.png

Jesus, LSB.... Another thread calling people out on their bullshit...? you bet!

I'm going to break this video down and respond to what I feel are the things of the most importance in pointing out why this video is not only biased, but also abosofuckinglutly ridiculous as well....

Star Fox 63 & A Third....

First off let's start with the opening of this video....

18j3dtaih4m62jpg.jpg

The damn thing kicks things off right from the start with this sponsered Nintendo Star Fox commercial vibe....

Right there you have already shown this review isn't a review, it's a promotion....

These fucking guys are literally dressing up like Star Fox to talk about Star Fox....

Biased...? How could this not be....

He's standing in front of a bunch of Nintendo stuff talking about how great Nintendo is.... Ok....

So he's a fanboy... can't fanboys have opinions too....?

Well, sure they can....

The question I'm addressing here is should you bother to listen to THIS fanboys opinion....

And my guess is, if you are a huge fanboy of Nintendo, like so much so that you can't see fault in what they do, then you will probably not like what I have to say for the rest of this OP, so just leave now....

Before I get your jimmies rustled....

Ok...?

This fucking guy even goes as far as to tell you ahead of time that this is not a paid review, even though it might look and sound like one, so please understand....

A Picure Is Worth A Thousand Words....

3ed6d33a3994c798c69d81e151aa26ab.jpg

Right there you already know this "review" is complete bullshit....

He goes on to remind us of this "fact" at least three times during this 35 minute long video....

I mean, if the multiple Star Fox patches/pins on his shirt and Star Fox 63 and a Half title screen opening didn't tell you that already, this should have been the nail in the coffin....

The Passage of Time is Different for Us All....

Next he talks about having the game for a month and how he thinks he's discovered everything....

And the only reason I point this out is because, it took this guy a fucking month of playing Star Fox Zero for this review....

At least that is what that statement leads you to believe....

A game that has been reported to able to be finished in a little over 3 hours, with subsequent playthroughs literally only offering a few hours of extra content....

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=26780

You are kidding me, right gamer guy...?

More like it took you a month to put together this Star Fox commercial/strategy guide for the fans....

You could have reviewed this game the next day after you first played it....

But no, Nintendo sent you a copy extremely early in hopes your fanboy ass would put together a video exactly like this one....

[​IMG]

Just look at that fucking picture before you try to question what I'm saying here....

This is not a review, it's a fucking promotion for Star Fox Zero....

And it's a better one than Nintendo have done for themselves imo....

But that doesn't justify calling this a review....

Review is by definition....

A formal assessment or examination of something with the possibility or intention of instituting change if necessary.....

Yeah, not what I see here at all....

Backstory....

Ok, so the first part of this review is basically a history of Star Fox 64 and the story and all that....

And I say all that very loosly, cause the story in Star Fox is barely there, in every game in the series, since the SNES original....

Yet this asshole spends like almost 5 minutes explaining this story, that is almost non existent, to literally what he understands will almost be all Nintendo fans watching this video....

I mean, really...?

Do you really expect me to believe that this video will be taken seriously as a review by anyone outside the Nintendo fanbase...?

Do you also expect me to believe you didn't understand that...?

I could literally explain the entire story in SF with nothing but stuffed animals, without using words, to my 6 year old, in less time than you spent in this video explaining it to people who probably already have Slippy tatooed on their inner thigh....

smh....

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

Fat Man with Beard
    Already disregarded
  3. AutisAwsome

AutisAwsome AKA FloppyPony. I am on twitter and facebook to :3

OH! so they basically did a Sonic Generations to this 'plot' :confused:
    I am not fermiliar with starfox as it is before my time but even I can tell this is absolute tripe! :mad: (prepare for rant)
    I don't see why he has to explain who they all are. why the heck would you be watching a review like this if you weren't already at least a little aware of who these characters were? Also, forgive me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure no-one really cares this much about the plot but actually just get the game to blow stuff up and have fun in awesome spaceships. The whole story section of this video is pretty much pointless. thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my time with complete rubbish o_O when he talked about phrases coming back all I can think is 'there goes Nintendo clinging onto old memes and fame again'. (I am a Nintendo fan by the way but I wont shy away from the crap they are releasing as well as good stuff). I love it when he says 'if you are a fan of the old starfox 64 then VISUALLY you will walk away impressed' HAHAHA! :rolleyes: really?! what about the gameplay? you have told me nothing about this yet and nobody cares about you prattling on about the rest. Why on earth is this 30 minutes long?! 'They are clearly trying to find what defines a good starfox game. well the story is clearly defined' he doesn't even sound like he likes it! He is so being paid for this! Also, how does Nintendo have to 'try' to find what makes a good starfox game? They MADE IT! :D 'the biggest change compared to the original is how the game is played' OMG! :eek: They basically ruined it then. no wonder he was talking about so much of the other stuff! They changed the game! WOW Nintendo really have no idea what their fans want do they? using the gamepad to control it is SUCH a bad idea! Great Nintendo! You finally bring back a wanted franchise which people have been waiting for years for just to advertise your stupid shitty gamepad! F you! :mad: the footage of him struggling to look at both screens while playing proves one of the many problems with this system. lol just look at him! Does he look like he is having fun? nope! :rolleyes: 'after several hours you will get it' HA! Like I am going to put up with shitty control choices for hours before I get a good game out of it! The game will be almost over by then! This game just looks like a terrible terrible ps2 starwars bargain bin game. so in co-op you just get to control the bloody guns of the ship?! greeeeeat. Why can't I have a darn ship of my own?! 'it will give you the insight to get beter at shooting or flying' so basically you are telling me you need it to play the game properly. sigh. 'you wont lose the guns and stability in this game like the old one' so they got rid of one of the most famous and ingenius features of the original game. do you even listen to your fan Nintendo?! :eek: new vehicles. oh dear. this just keeps getting better and better! :confused: if it works don't change it! Basic rule of anything! oh wait! turns out I was right! The starwars comment was actually true! They are just copying starwars! OMG! why?! :mad: I think this guy is being tortured so much by playing this game none stop that he has become obsessed with it as it is the only way he can live without going insane. 'the boses force you into certain camera angles which is annoying' wait I thought you liked this game. don't talk like that or you may not get paid ;) I thought this was an all new starfox game. why are half the levels including the level before the last boss just copies of the old game?! It's been years! I think I have played them enough thank you! o_O better code that gorilla butt! :D I don't get why he reviews the ending of the game. what is the point of knowing bsout it when you already beat it as you wouldn't look at it otherwise coz spoilers! :confused: oh great finish a hard mode and I get music. I hate it when they do that. I should have that from the get go! :mad: lol then you get nothing for finishing for doing all the paths! WHAT IS THE POINT THEN?! :D :rolleyes: no reward for medals either?! I think that is a finger from someone at Nintendo there after being harassed about this game for years lol :D so you unlock the amibo stuff anyway?! WOW what a waste of money! :mad: OMG he even has a sob story at the end! I'm sorry but I aint listening to that fake shit! Prentending to be all sad and nostalgic about his channel for money?! what the hell?! :mad:

So that is my 2 and many more cents on this review and what he had to say about the game. Sorry if it sounds judgemental or rude or you are offended in some way but keep in mind I actually haven't played the game but I don't plan to coz it looks BAD! Tell me what you think and if you got to his point thanks for reading lol I think I needed a rage :p
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

Meh, I still watch him. He's one of the few people who seems positive on Youtube, not just being irate for laughs.

He's a fan of Star Fox, and he's excited that it's returning to 64's format. He found the controls tough but got use to it. I don't really look at his videos as reviews, more so as a guy who completes games and gives his opinion on it. And besides, doesn't Nintendo have review embargoes? Maybe he really did play for a month cause he enjoys it and couldn't post his video until a certain date.

Before every video he'll usually put up stuff related to the game. When he did Kirby's Dreamland 2 he'll have Kirby amiibos, various games and merch on the shelf behind him.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AutisAwsome

It's fine if you like him. I personally don't like the guy but that's just me. its more the game that made me rage and the fact he was paid for this reviews than anything else.
  6. CitizenOfVerona

Fair enough. I think Youtube has a policy or something that you have to state if something is a paid review or not, but who knows how many people actually follow that rule.

He's not someone I watch regularly but I find him good to throw on while getting supper ready or if I need something on the television cause myapartment is too quiet.
  7. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

My only issue with him being labeled as being paid by Nintendo for this is why then would he practically spoil the entire game then? I had to turn the video off around 22 minutes in because he was revealing too much of the story and the game itself. Doesn't sound like someone who's being paid by Nintendo exactly, especially when you consider how secret Nintendo are about their games. Yes, the game is short, but it's the principle of the matter.

Overall, I liked what I saw of the video, and I have watched a couple of his other videos. If you ask me, he's just a passionate guy who likes talking about certain games. Nothing wrong with giving it props and whatnot, and even though he did interview Miyamoto, that just means he's a good enough YTer that Nintendo was willing to speak with him, same as with IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, or Eurogamer were to interview certain members of the industry.

That's just my take anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TheAmazingLSB

Motivations....

You don't have to be physically paid money to be in the pockets of these game companies....

Think about all those poor Nintendo Power reviewers, that for years, were probably told by Nintendo, hey you can review games, but here are the stipulations by which you can....

I see the same thing in these paid reviews....

When I say payed, I don't mean Nintendo sent this guy a fucking check....

I mean he has a close realtionship with Nintendo, and his entire review is enveloped in fanboyism....

Reviews imo should have at least some objectivity.... In other words, why are we getting reviews from these guys that seem more like fan endorsments...?

Do you think this guy really wants to say something bad about a companies game that have been so kind to him in terms of helping his buisness...?

His channel....

Basically helping this guy become more and more popular and making more and more money....

I'm pretty sure this video is monotized....

There is money in that too....

Nintendo doesn't have to physically pay this guy for him to be in their pockets, you get me...?

There are other ways these companies keep these reviewers in line.... Like cutting them off if they post a negetive review....

I'm sure the teh guy who wrote the Polygon review is getting a lot of heat for it right now....

People even lose their jobs over being honest about games.... This shit happens....

We live in a world where you can only be as honest as you are allowed to be by the people cutting your check....

Because whether you understand it or not, this guy needs Nintendo more than they need him....

I'm sure being kind to Nintendo games has helped build a bridge between him and the company....

I mean come on, this guy didn't just interview Miyamoto, he nearly creamed in his pants the entire time, why, because he's probably one of the biggest fanboys on the web....

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't watch his videos, I'm not even saying don't enjoy, but I am saying if you tried to hold this review up to me as some kind of argument that SFZ is the shit or something, I would laugh in your face....

Because this review is nothing but fluff.... The kind of fluff that GETS YOU INTERVIEWS WITH NINTENDO....

Gets you sent free games to play and talk about....

Allows to go to official events and be a presenter or interviewy, which means money.....

I mean, it's in this guys best interest to say nothing but good things about Nintendo games....

Why...? Because he might get cut off from all that if he didn't....
  9. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Nintendo and its "right way to have more fun".

Why Nintendo just can't deliver a simple conventional action game instead of all those funny and weird control choices they make?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

You could write a whole book on this topic, spanning the entire history of Nintendo videogames.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. TheAmazingLSB

Presentation....

Have you listened to this guy discuss the graphics in SFZ...? You would think this game was the best looking game he'd ever seen in his life....

But we all have eyes dude....

I know I wear a mask, but it has holes for my eyes, so I can see....

And no mattter how much you try to fluff shit up and make it sound grander than it is....

We can still see the damn game....

You would have to blindfold me to get me to buy that BS drivil you call a comprehesive review of the graphics in SFZ....

Let's just look at some of these quotes....

"Everything about this game is beautiful."

"an HD wonderland."

Really...?

http://i.imgur.com/ApQp7mv.webm

Looks at that image, it's of the opening level of Corneria....

Now, while I'm not here to argue whether this game looks good or not, I am here to argue that this guys opinion is nothing but a sales pitch for this game....

He candy coats every single thing about the way this game looks, without ever pointing out the fact this game can't even come close to some of the best looking game from last gen, let alone this one....

Many PS3 and 360 games are both, on an artistic and technicle level, light years ahead of anything being done in this new SF game....

That's not opinion, that's fact....

I mean, just listen to more of this shit....

"The love is in the details."

smh....

"The water in corneria, the musty trees and atmousphere of fortuna, the inner workings and robots in Zoness, every level visually offers something killer!"

Ok so let's break this shit down right now....

The water in corneria...?

Just look at that gif above.... It's some of the worst, most lifeless and geometry free water effects I have ever seen in a game this generation....

18j3dtaih4m62jpg - Copy - Copy.jpg

I mean here is the visual he shows you when he says that about the water.... Just look at that image and tell me that is not terrible and cheap in terms of water effects....

Just look at the way the enemies literally pass through it like a glitch, its pathetic in all honesty....

Just for comparison, so you guys can see for yourself, here is some of the best water from last gen....

And we are talking about games where the water is actually interactive.... Just think about that for a second....

Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to give you decent water effects in this game that compare to 4 year old games....

Seriously, we know Nintendo can do much better than this.... This pasted water texture is not only fugly as fuck up close, but lacks fucking reflections....

Something that was even in the original SF64.... Like 20 years ago....

That says a lot about how good this games graphics really are imo, when the old original game it rips so much from, does something graphically better than it does....

Do I even have to continue...?

Ok....
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  12. CitizenOfVerona

Post on his video or Youtube channel
  13. TheAmazingLSB

40curthennig.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

If the guy says this game is beautiful. It's clear that he's mad or selling it.

This game's not ugly, or bad, but it does look cheap.

The explosion effects on the water are poor.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AutisAwsome

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  16. CitizenOfVerona

I guess I should be more clear.

I'm not standing up for the guy or anything. I watch his video semi-regularly but ever since his partner left, I noticed something...off about him. Anyways, I just don't think many sites/youtubers are honest these days.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you have a site like Gamespot. They had a long stretch of giving Nintendo games 6/10 with a con being "too hard". They gave Kirby a 6 with a con being it's too hard. KIRBY!

Personally, I don't take much seriously in terms of Youtubers. I use to watch a few before they started annoying me. When I do watch Completionist, I mostly do get a sense of just a guy loving games....mostly. I never thought about it too much but after actually thinking about his video, yeah, he does oversell some aspects big time.

But again, the few Youtubers I regularly watch isn't for a review of the game, it's for entertainment or background noise. Take Zero Punctuation. I don't watch him to see if he'll recommend a game, I watch him cause he makes me laugh.

That's just me. The internet is running out of honesty sadly. I find Destructoid on the ball most of the time with it's reviews and I feel like IGN is getting better, slowly though.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Hey LSB. Why don't you have a show on youtube to comment stuff?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TheAmazingLSB

I used to do one here.... Like, just for the posters on TNE....

I've been thinking about getting back into it again.... But I just don't know honestly....

Like, I'm thinking of at least doing the TNE3 pre E3 and Direct show this year.... But I haven't really planned anything beyond that....

I'm not even sure that will work out.... But I will let you know if I ever do again....

Would be cool to have guests and stuff on like I used to.... Like you Odo....
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

I'm too shy...

[​IMG]

I think Youtube needs weekly shows with 1 to 3 minutes commentary. Nothing big because everyone's too busy nowadays and there are too many of those 90 minutes podcasts that are impossible to follow in my opinion... Those guys talk too much.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. AutisAwsome

cool. I would love it if you did this as a youtube channel. I may sub if you do :3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. TheAmazingLSB

Me and Wolfy tried to do a thing for E3 last year, but I ended up not doing it at the last minute simply because I couldn't get anyone to participate....

His thread was pretty successful though, as he gave away a bunch of cool prizes and stuff....

I want to do that this year too.... I was thinking of doing an amiibo giveaway or something....

Here's some of the videos I produced for that that nobody watched....

Mind you that second video I did live in stream, edits and all....

Still, I get that my videos kind of suck so.... I'm not sure if I will continue with them or not....

But man, back 2014, TNE3 was the shit....

Back when I was still using the Gamepad Wii U chat in my streams....

Memories....
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  22. TheAmazingLSB

Just to give you a heads up, I woke up this morning to having my Imgur account deleted....

Now, just to give you an idea, I have had my account there since last year, posted plenty of copyrighted images, never had any isuues....

Yesterday, I write ths piece, and as part of it I uploaded a couple of screen caps of this guys review to use in my thread on Imgur....

Not even 24 hours later than I post this, my Imgur gallery is completely deleted....

Now I don't know for a fact that this guy had anything to do with it, but I think he did....

I think he claimed copyright on the screen caps I used, thus making Imgur remove my content, and basically block me from using it again....

So, before you guys go mouthing off about honesty and truth, keep this in mind....

Being honest is a battle, a war waged upon us all every single day of our lives....

So if you are like me, and stand for truth, you better be ready to deal with fucking assholes like this guy trying to silence you, or at least make you have a bad day because of it....

But guess what, I don't need that Imgur, and I will continue to call you out on your bullshit regardless of what you do....

This is far from over....
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

So that dude who had all the Starfox commercials in the video review in that thread yesterday. He saw your comments on the YouTube channel and went to Imgur?

Can you get any word from Imgur themselves on the situation?
  24. TheAmazingLSB

No... they will not explain why, as it's part of their policy that they do not have to....

So there is no real way to be certain....

But the timing of it all is too much of a coincedence for me....

The only other it could have been is Nintendo themselves, and only because of the Zelda 30 years tribute image....

But my video of it is perectly fine, hasn't been touched....

So if it was Nintendo, why stop at imgur...? They would have hit my YT channel as well imo if it was them....
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  25. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

It's pretty bunk that they don't have to give you a reason. Just for the fact when people are not allowed to know the facts of such things you open the door for a lot of shady things to happen.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

I've personally recorded myself playing games, and/or commentating about them a few times (the results never made it onto YT btw), and it's much much harder than people think it is. It's one thing to simply type up a review, or impressions of a game, because I associate typing out your response to be a slower process, so my brain itself can process the info better.

In laymen's terms, I'm not the greatest at improv. I'd be much better reading off a script that I wrote, or even a few notes that I'd glance at while voicing my thoughts about something.

For a couple of videos I want to do, I actually wrote out, with a pencil and paper, what I would speak, word for word. It can be a painstaking process, but I also look at it as a way to get your feet wet in this thing. The articles I've written for TNE? All drafted on pencil and paper.

Sometimes, I guess the old ways are better. :p
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  27. TheAmazingLSB

No sooner than I start to talk about it on the forums here, does Imgur decide to give me back my account without notice....

Chalk up a win for the little guy....
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  28. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I think its a leap, how would he know to look here, fimd your account and get it locked? Or is imgur a place where you can just look up users?
    He has a fanbase long enough that I could imagine people doing it for him.
    • Like Like x 4
  29. AutisAwsome

haha! I think maybe they were scared of you? I don't know!
  30. TheAmazingLSB

Maybe, I honestly don't know why....

All I know is late last night my account was comprimised.... Couldn't get an answer from Imgur except that it was probably deleted do to terms of service or copyright or harasment violations....

You are probably right though, it is a huge leap for me to be saying all this....

But then, as soon as a do, my Imgur gets reinstated...?

Meh....

I don't know....

Maybe I'm just a nutball....

But what I said in this thread stands.... This review is still complete bullshit....

But it is an entertaining commercial....:mthumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  31. TheAmazingLSB

As if you didn't need anymore proof of this "review" being a commercial....

It's hosted on Nintendo's own youtube channel right next to offical commercial videos....

IBTY_Logo_web - Copy (6).jpg

:msrs:
  32. Jack Lovejoy

Jack Lovejoy Active Member

Oh look, its Alex from TheDex, one of the worst pokemon battle strategy channels.
  33. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

No offense, LSB, but you care WAY too much about this
  34. TheAmazingLSB

I care way too much about a lot of things....
  35. Superfakerbros

I'm sure you do. I'm just saying this ain't exactly a big deal...like at all :p
  36. TheAmazingLSB

I await your next thread so I can read what you are caring about these days....:mthumb:

Welcome back super....

:mhug:
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  37. Superfakerbros

Lol Thanks, man :)

Listen, I'm not saying you shouldn't make threads about stuff that interests you and what not. You do you, you know. I'm just confused as to why this thread was even necessary

If you want me to be perfectly honest with you, these days, I just care about getting a part-time job, having an enjoyable summer, and making something so I can get an Engineering internship. Gaming has taken a huge backseat and it'll probably stay that way until gaming begins to wow me like it used to

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 2
  38. TheAmazingLSB

I mean, to me, integrity still means something....

So does truth and honesty....

Calling this a review comprimises both of those things imo....

Something which I care to point out because it is something I hold dear....

That is what calling people like this out is all about for me....

Especially when they try to candy coat it in a way that makes you think otherwise....

I enjoy pulling the blinders off of people and showing them a different, perhaps even more truthful side to things....

This thread is just one example of that....

Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea....

Can't please em all I guess....

But those were the reasons behind why I wrote this in the first place....
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Superfakerbros

Hey, fair enough. I can't exactly call those reasons wrong or anything. At least, you were willing to give yoursite without throwing a hissy fit like some forum posters I've seen (none on here though)
    • Like Like x 2
  40. TheAmazingLSB

You are my friend Super, and I respect your opinon....

Even when we disagree....

I don't care how long a vacation you take from this place....

Bros for life, Supes....
    • Like Like x 2
  41. Superfakerbros

[​IMG]

You're goddamm right!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2