The Community's Voice - How Are You Liking ARMS so Far?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Juegos, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Hey guys,

I'm restarting an article series we were doing a while back, where we collected responses from the forum members and the front page/Facebook regarding some topic, and put it together on a weekly article. Besides, I've wanted to do a proper "multiplayer review" of ARMS for a while, so I think this could lead to that.

Anyway, the simple question is: A month after its release, what are your thoughts on ARMS?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Personally I felt frustrated with the game initially, as I just couldn't understand how to play effectively against either the computer or in ranked mode. For a little bit there I thought the game was poorly designed, and that I was going to regret buying it. But suddenly something clicked, and I started loving every minute of it, either against randoms online or with the guys here in party mode. I haven't gotten to play it as much as it deserves, but I know I will keep playing it at least once in a while in our game nights throughout the rest of the year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ranked bug bites me and keeps me hitting that "search for match" button over and over again. Right now I do like Max Brass, so hopefully that'll pull me back in.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

I was no fan at first, especially using the motion controls. I went from a day 1 buy to a possible never purchase. Until I tried the pro controller and then it started somewhat clicking for me but still not enough to really draw me in.

Once the game launched tho I made the purchase and made sure I have put in some time with it to atleast give it a fighting chance for my time. Still haven't done a ranked match yet, but after finding my fighter I liked and the ARMS I was best with I have really began to love the game.

It's fun, it's challenging, it's way different and it's quick to get in and outta matches. As far as I'm concerned ARMS will from now on be a day 1 purchase as long as the series runs.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

I was very surprised by the game, and I really shouldnt have been, since games that make me try are usually very good in my book. And it has been a trying experience thus far. Like others have said, I also was not feeling the motion controls immediately. I'm glad that people can get used to it, and it is a pretty simple entry point as I've been able to play and co-op kids very easily without having to train them up much beforehand. I like that its intuitive, but I had to switch to Pro Controller play, its just way more secure and comfortable to me.

Game kicked my ass to start with, which was a fun hurdle to get past. Ranked has been a treat, except when I lose or when I'm winning so hard that the other player disconnects and I get no compensation for the forfeit. But I love it, I can definitely feel myself getting better sometimes, but I have to learn to stick with it otherwise my skills start to slip downward. Its vicious.

I went to an ARMS tourney recently and enjoyed that. Did pretty good in 3 rounds and then lost my 4th match to a brutally mean Master Mummy using a strategy I just couldn't figure out UNTIL I was in my car thinking about it with a clear head. That was cool, being able to suss out a clear strategy like that. Too bad it was after I took the L.

So thus far its great, the update seems pretty meaty and I hope future updates feel just as good. Next one should be an actual new character, so thats exciting. My few gripes are not being able to change up the button layout, since guard on the left thumbstick is super dumb, lack of voice chat, and I guess story, which wouldnt be so bad if NoA bothered to translate the mountains of story and lore the official ARMS twitter has been dropping. Also the reward you get for beating a Grand Prix with a given character is very dull, especially considering how colorful and great the art for the game is all around.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

Arms was a game I wasn't sure about from the start. Fighting games have never been my thing. But something about it kept drawing me to examine it further. After the Arms direct and the Test Punch, I was all in. Yes, it was a fighting game, but there was something different about it. I still can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

I love that there is a learning curve, and one that will kick your butt in the beginning. That made me try harder. Whenever I can get through a game without any effort, I lose interest quickly. Over time, I kept growing as a fighter and having more fun as the days went on.

Even in the multiplayer when I lost, it didn't matter, I was having fun just like in Splatoon. Can't explain it any better than that.

For me, Arms is another Nintendo hit.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Necessary Evil Staff Member Moderator

For me, this is the issue. I can't improve on this:
    I bought Arms thinking that it would be the Splatoon of fighters, but to me it isn't, because of the reason Fried said. I played Splatoon and loved it from the first match, because the bar is low for understanding the game (although it's still high for mastery). But pretty much anyone can contribute immediately. I can leave Splatoon alone for weeks, jump back in, and within 30 seconds, I feel like I'm helping my team and contributing. It's a gameplay style that's covered in some sort of anti-corrosive substance. I don't really get rusty.

I left Arms alone for a few days, came back, and almost felt like I was starting from scratch. Like every other fighter I've ever played.

Arms is good. I do like it. It's a darn good fighting game. But it's the opposite of what I thought it would be (and the opposite of what I want; even a game like MH is muscle memory for me; once learned, it doesn't require me playing it for a few hours every other day to be decent - I'm not a gaming pro, and honestly have zero desire to be one). Which is probably why I'll end up mailing Arms to someone else who will properly enjoy it.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I'm slowly falling into somewhat of a punch drunk love with Arms. As a person who is used to punching things I found the controls a bit awkward at first. Once I got over the initial learning curve of curving punches it got a tad easier. Once you get past mindlessly punching there are a good amount of ways to get around being punched and variety of ways to punch back with purpose (and the occasional explosion.) Now that I'm more invested in the game I'm starting to learn the basic fighting styles of the characters and looking for openings in which to punch with reckless abandon. The game can be extremely intense and the salt you feel when someone knocks you out a half second before your fist meets their face makes you want to punch random inanimate objects as the replay blows up on your screen. Overall, I would recommend the game to people who like punching things but make sure you are good at it so you don't punch actual things when you lose.
    [​IMG]
    PUNCH
    • Like Like x 1