Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by AniGamer, Jul 25, 2012.

1. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

Official Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Hello everyone, in this thread we will discuss all things related to anime and manga. New anime and manga are released daily in Japan and other places all around the world. Just like video games, anime and manga have a large following of fans. Me included, I love anime and manga almost as much as Nintendo.

[​IMG]

So here we can discuss it all from news, or just suggesting an anime series or manga series to a fellow member. Have fun! ^_^
  2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Member

Meh. Years back I was a lot more in to it than I am now. I have a passive-aggressive relationship with anime. Sometimes I find myself really getting in to it, but most of the stuff I've seen recently doesn't interest me much and the fans I've encountered at my ill-conceived trips to clubs-- or the few conventions I was dragged along to-- usually come across as sort of obnoxious. Yeah... no way of really saying that latter part without sounding like a jerk, but they kinda weird me out. [​IMG]

I really don't have much time for it these days; the last one I watched was Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo which was... O.K.... but it had a pretty stupid ending imo. Prior to that I watched Code Geass which was probably the most recent anime that I really liked, even though it also ended in sort of a trainwreck. A few others that stood out to me include: Monster, Death Note, Mushishi, Spice & Wolf, Black Lagoon, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Otherwise, I grew up watching the generic Toonami roster-- Dragon Ball Z, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, etc.

I also read the Naruto and Bleach Manga, mostly out of obligation, since I read them since High School. I don't really like how either have turned out much... I just want to see how they end at this point.
  3. juegosmajicos

juegosmajicos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Like Apocalypse, I haven't really kept up with Anime recently. I think the most recent anime I watched and actually liked was GTO and Dennou Coil, both of which go out with all my recommendations.

Other than that, I've loved Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GiG, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo (to some extent), Trigun, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (except those horrid 12 or so island episodes of course), and Evangelion (though I watched it so long ago, and haven't seen kept up with the remakes).

I have watched a bunch of other not-quite-great ones like Witch Hunter Robin, Hellsing, Last Exile, Trinity Blood, Death Note, and probably a few others I can't remember.

Anime movies are generally pretty amazing, but I wouldn't be able to count them right now. I'll post what I remember watching later.
  4. running_in_jam

running_in_jam Videogame Sound Designer and Composer

What a fantastic thread! Similarly to Apocalypse and Juegos, I've had severely less time over the last few years to really enjoy the medium as much as I used to.

Nevertheless, I have several anime shows and movies lined up to enjoy this summer. My favorite anime consists of any and all Ghost in the Shell, Wolf's Rain and Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.

A friend of mine introduced me to Anime-Planet to help me keep track of what I want to watch, because I'm so out the loop. So you can see everything else I've watched here: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/HotJamSushi/anime

Juegos and I have already talked about this, but the reason Ghost in the Shell and Wolf's Rain are my favorites is largely due to the composer, Yoko Kanno. She is just...incredible =|

What are your favorites AniGamer?
  5. Menashe

Menashe Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I love this topic. I'm glad you made it and maybe I can get some good anime recommendations now. For some reason I always have spent more time gaming, watching TV and movies, and reading books than watching anime. But, at the same time I would consider myself a big fan of anime. It's weird, but for some reason it's hard to get myself to take the plunge into a new anime series but once I do, I usually am a big fan once I'm done. It's probably because so many of them have tons of episodes and take a lot of devotion. I wish I had the time for that but I'll usually watch something stupid on TV that doesn't take the same amount of time to get into it.

That said there have been a lot of anime series I very much enjoyed. I haven't completed very many of these but what I've watched of these I've enjoyed:

FMA: Brotherhood
    FLCL
    Cowboy Bebop
    Death Note
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Samurai Champloo
    Toradora
    True Tears
    Ghost in the Shell
    Gurren Laggan
    Fairy Tail
    Detective Conan
    Black Lagoon
    Trigun
    Puella Magi
  6. juegosmajicos

I think you should watch Wolf's Rain asap. It's probably my favorite anime bar none, it's just brilliant.
  7. Menashe

When I saw you and Jam both mentioned it that thought crossed my mind. So, upon your recommendation I'm going to check it out. I only watch anime based on recommendations. I don't have time to watch any more than that, so I'm happy whenever someone actually has an anime they're sure is good. Most of the time they'll say, If you like the style then it's really good, otherwise you might not go for the whole thing. Btw, should I watch the subbed version or the Adult Swim dub?

Also, have you checked out Cabin in the Woods yet?
  8. juegosmajicos

I think you'll be fine with either the subbed or dubbed version. Also no I haven't seen Cabin in the Woods yet [​IMG]
  9. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

Part of me wants to drop a megaton post in this thread, another part of me realizes that would just be overwhelming (for both me and anyone reading) and self-indulgent, and that it's always better to distill things down to a few manageable recommendations, ones that contain some explanation or reasoning, that are the best of the best, and of broad appeal. Unfortunately, go too narrow and this can lead to the same few names getting re-circulated all the time when often what people are looking for is not to be told Spirited Away is awesome, but to discover the names of gems they've missed over the years. To put it in Nintendo Wii terms: we usually want a list that recommends the Fragile Dreams and Muramasas or even the Monster Hunter Tri's, No More Heroes and Other M's of the world, not so much the Mario Galaxies. I think a have a couple ideas I'll post later (for one I'm noticing a big Satoshi Kon void that I think I'll fill)...
  10. Menashe

I personally would not mind a megaton post with detailed recommendations. [​IMG] But that's me.
  11. repomech

Twist my arm. [​IMG]

I think it will have to be in pieces, but I'll give it a go.
  12. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

I currently am watching two new anime that just released this summer. They are Kokoro Connect and Sword Art Online. Both are excellent anime, and I really really enjoy them. I am also watching The Legend of Korra. I am trying to catch up on that before the new season and movie starts.

Eventually I also want to watch the Fruit Baskets anime, and possibly read the manga as well.
  13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Member

Hm. Is Avatar actually considered an anime? I mean, it is clearly "anime-esque", but I thought the term specifically referred to animations from Asia, or more specifically, Japan.

I've been meaning to get around to watching .hack//Roots, but I've been way too busy lately. One day I'll get around to it... maybe.
  14. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

It certainly isn't anime, but in the likeness of. It does have Japanese animators however.

I've been so busy lately. But I plan to catch up on Pokemon Best Wishes 2, and Kokoro Connect. I am also watching Sword Art Online weekly.

On a side note, a Ruroni Kenshin live action movie is in the works in Japan. With Ruroni Kenshin (And Samurai X) being my favorite anime AND manga, I am super excited for this!
  15. Ex-Actarus

Ex-Actarus Well-Known Member

I'm a huge anime fan.

My favourite Anime / Manga
    - Machine Robo
    - Goldorak / Grendizer
    - Lodoss
    - Heat Guy J
    - Ninja Scroll
    - Dragon Ball Z
    - Saint Seya
    - Fist of the Noth star
    - Paranoia Agent
    - Mazinkaiser
    - Full Metal Panic
    - Full Metal Alchimist

And so many other...
  16. Marishi-Ten

Marishi-Ten New Member

Seems were finally being treated to the Puella Magi Madoka Magica collection next month here where I live, while I know next to nothing about the show itself, one glipse of the box and a short video clip tells me it's something I would be keen on.

Any input or opinion on the series and what it's like?

Side note I picked up Princess Jellyfish the other day too, going to start watching it soon. Seems they are finally wising up that there is actually a market for anime in the UK because we are being treated to quite a few all of a sudden, even if they are old.
  17. Menashe

I've seen a few episodes of Puella Magi and I was impressed by what I saw. The reason I stopped was because it started to get too depressing for me. But that's part of the whole appeal because it's a sharp turn for the Magic Girl genre which is usually bubbly, fun, and positive. In Puella Magi, the creators aren't afraid to kill off characters all the time. Another thing I'd mention about it is the really cool art style, especially the whole avante-garde look it takes on during the witch sequences.
  18. adamwills

adamwills New Member

Well both are big part of entertainment. Mostly people like Anime and Manga series even I also love both are. Every Weekend I am watching some Anime show like Naruto, Samurai and Pokemon these are great shows in all series.
  19. repomech

Has anyone else been using the PS3's new Crackle anime/kung-fu flick streaming service (it's free!)? They got some interesting selection on there. Taking a moment where possible to catch up on some series I'd meant to get around to for a while but hadn't.

Most recently I started the Blade of the Immortal series, only to quickly cut my losses. I can't recommend it. Straight forward enough concept: samurai is cursed for his slaying of a hundred men with the fate of having to walk the earth as an immortal until he slays 1000 evil men. Sounds tough to totally screw up, but, uh, yeah.Terribly realized. There's much better things out there to spend your time on.

Now, I'm not typically a big manga reader, I love anime, but for some reason when it comes to print I generally prefer western comics and graphic novels, but there are a handful of classic series out there that are absolute must-reads. And not only is this one of them, but OMFG how gorgeous is this new box set: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/11/06/hayao-miyazakis-epic-nausica-manga-collected-in-new-box-set. Yep, your eyes saw correctly, that's the complete Nausicaa run.
  20. Menashe

Just recently started watching Fate Zero and I'm loving it so far. Sometimes I think that the new standard of animation in anime will corrupt me and I won't be able to watch old anime, which is what has happened to me in film, where I can't watch golden oldies anymore because of the lower standards. Fate Zero looks and sounds STUNNING! [​IMG]
  21. repomech

I don't find I have that problem at all with anime. There's something so incredible, distinct and human about high level anime from the 80's and 90's - while some of it requires a sort of kitschy nostalgia to still love, I can't see the day when I won't be able to appreciate the beauty of Wings of Honneamise, Patlabor or Porco Rosso for example. In fact I often find some of the newer computer techniques create an overly clean, inhuman and artificial touch (fortunately the jarring trend of clashing hand drawn against pure CGI in the early 2000's seems to have either declined or been refined).

Btw, I think I've settled on a format for a megaton anime post. Top 15 from each of the 1980's, 90's and 00's.
  22. Menashe

My body is ready. Maybe we should publish it on GE. By the way, if you didn't get the message from T, I really would love to have you writing for the site. I've seen you write on the forums and I'm very impressed with your writing. Interested?
  23. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

Did you mean me? Sorry if you didn't, but of course you know I will.

On another note, I'm currently watching Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, and Pokemon Best Wishes 2.
  24. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I enjoy to much anime to count off the top of my head, but my personal favorites are:

-D. Grayman
    -Sgt. Frog
    -FMA: Brotherhood.

Any one else ever watch the prior two?
  25. DarkKevit

DarkKevit That old bloke from Crete...

Hmm, I will keep an eye on this thread, as I am the first to admit that I have hardly any knowledge of this subject, as it has never appealed to me as a medium. Mainly, I suspect due to my lack of understanding of what is good and what is not. I seem to associate the whole manga thing as either kids cartoon type stuff, or really cheesy sex oriented stuff

One thing I do remember very well, and enjoyed a lot, was a film called Vexille. Does this count? The wife and I both enjoyed the whole of the Last Airbender series, but this is American I think. Can anime/manga even BE American?

As I say, I will check out some of your recommendations, as you seem a knowledgeable bunch on the subject.

Edit: Having read the thread and had a look about the net, I feel as if I would like to start my anime education with Wolfs Rain and Fate Zero. Is there anywhere reliable to buy these online, with delivery to the EU?
  26. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

Some random anime news to add in here.

- Cartoon Network is currently showing a Pokemon Black & White: Rival Destinies marathon.

- Pokemon the Movie: Kyurem and the Sword of Justice premieres on Cartoon Network today at 7 PM EST.

- Sword Art Online episode 23 is now released.

- New trailer from Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods movie has released.
  27. thelittlelaughingman

thelittlelaughingman Electromaster

I'm not a big Manga reader either but I would recommend the Battle Royale Manga.
  28. Menashe

I can't really help with this, but maybe you can buy it on Amazon? Also, I've watched about 5 episodes of Wolf's Rain and I'm having a hard time with it. Because everyone else has such good things to say about it I'd imagine it gets better as it goes on, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for someone who is just starting out.

I don't think the Last Airbender is really considered anime although I was a massive fan of it. If you're just starting I'd say to begin with Studio Ghibli's films because they are the most approachable for someone used to American animation and film. Others I'd recommend for you are Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and maybe Ghost in the Shell.

If you just want to watch an episode or two of something easy and action-filled I'd say Trigun, Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann, and Samurai Champloo.
  29. thelittlelaughingman

Anime, like other forms of entertainment, has a number of different genres. Kiddy stuff and sex stuff are there but there is also action, comedy, romance etc...

A good place to start your anime education would be with Ghost in the Shell and some Ghibli films (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro & Howl's Moving Castle would be my top picks). Ghost in the Shell and all of the Ghibli films can be bought through amazon.co.uk.
  30. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

Those are always good starts. I find big Shonen series to be good starters as well, and others agree. Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, DBZ, etc.

But to go from there some new good series to start with are Tonari no kaibutsu-kun, K!, Psyco-Pass, Sword Art Online, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
  31. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

If we do dedicate resources to a mega post, I propose we also add genre tags to each show. This would help us get a more accurate suggestion.

In the past I have been recommended many great shows, but there are always good ones that I end up hating with a passion.
  32. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

Hmm, what to do what to do. lol
  33. repomech

I would echo the sentiment that Wolf's Rain is not a good starting point. That series has some serious pacing issues at the start (among other things).

>"Menashe" wrote: I don't think the Last Airbender is really considered anime although I was a massive fan of it. If you're just starting I'd say to begin with Studio Ghibli's films because they are the most approachable for someone used to American animation and film. Others I'd recommend for you are Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and maybe Ghost in the Shell.

If you just want to watch an episode or two of something easy and action-filled I'd say Trigun, Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann, and Samurai Champloo.
    There's a lot of great recommendations right there (and if someone is really determined to dive into a series, Cowboy Bebop is a great starting point - it's an accessible, polished, stylish and wildly entertaining blend of action, noir, comedy, sci-fi, anime quirkiness, drama and more).

I'm going to distill it down to a single recommendation right off the bat though:

Darkkevit, if you're looking to check out some anime, I cannot recommend highly enough the movie Princess Mononoke. It is not only the best anime of all time, IMO - it would make any short list of my favourite movies of all time. You're good with either the dub or the subtitles. Check that out, and if you trust my taste/recommendations, we'll talk. It's from the legendary founder of Studio Ghibli, Hiyao Miyazaki, and should be readily obtainable. Masterpiece.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  34. juegosmajicos

Yes I want to say that for getting into Anime, movies are the right place to start. Princess Mononoke, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell (the fist one) are essentials in any list, anime or not. Anime movies in general are better than a series, it's just where the talent really shows. For lighter watching, I suggest Tokyo Godfathers, Jin-Roh, or Vampire Hunter D. But really, Princess Mononoke, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell is where it's at.

Don't be confused with the Ghost in the Shell anime series, which is also good, but nowhere near the movies.
  35. thelittlelaughingman

I disagree.
  36. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

I like they're all good. The movies are excellent. But hey, everyone has their opinions.
  37. juegosmajicos

You like it better than the movies? I like both series and both movies, but for me they go like this:

Ghost in the Shell (movie) > Ghost in the Shell 2 > Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd season > Ghost in the Shell SAC 1st season = Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society movie
  38. thelittlelaughingman

For me it would go Ghost in the Shell = Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st GIG > Ghost in the Shell 2 > Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG > Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society.
  39. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

I'm really enjoying the Magi anime series as well as Sword Art Online. I'm starting the Black Cat manga soon hopefully.
  40. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I think a series done right can spin a far better story than a movie can due to increased screen time. That said, it is rare for the production values to ever match a condensed movie. This means that (IMO) the best story's tend to be long-running-lower quality shows, movies have the best animation but rarely a better story, and short series that combine the production values and story telling elements of both are the best.
    (Then again, I am also one of those weird people who consider anime to be the same as quality cartoons. I just want good animation with a combination of a good story regardless of its origin)
    [​IMG]
  41. nerdman

nerdman pig's gotta fly

I have a weird relationship with anime. I dislike most of it, but my favorite movies are anime.

Outside of Ghibli films, I enjoyed Cowboy Beebop, Samurai Champloo, and I really liked the Individual Eleven for Ghost in the Shell.
  42. thelittlelaughingman

When you say you dislike most of it what do you mean? What are examples of anime which you dislike.
  43. nerdman

nerdman pig's gotta fly

I dislike most shonen based anime like Bleach and One Piece.

I didn't care for Black Lagoon, FLCL, and Trigun. Then some anime like Death Note, Evangelion, and FMA I feel pretty neutral because there are parts I really like and some I don't.
  44. Rosa_Canina

Rosa_Canina New Member

I could recommend a few titles I'm familiar with. (be warned, nearly all include Yuri of some kind).

I'll stick to licensed titles on DVD Blu-ray or legal streaming.

Aoi Hana (based on the Akiko Morishima manga is being released by Nozomi/RightStuf. It is the best portrayal of a young woman coming to terms with her sexuality (and her friends and family) that anime has ever produced.

Maria-Sama Ga Miteru (Maria Watches Over Us) is Konno Oyuki's homage to "Class S" stories. Elegant and heartwarming. (a personal favorite)

Girl Friends by Morinaga Milk, is an intimate look at friendships between girls and the beginnings of a lasting love.

Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossom Sweet tells several interconnecting tales of love at al all-girls' school.
    Both titles are available from JManga.

I just realized there are so many anime and manga out there. I'll leave it here for now and add more later.

Rosa
  45. running_in_jam

running_in_jam Videogame Sound Designer and Composer

I haven't been in this thread for too long!! I got an opportunity to watch some anime the other day, finally. I watched "Time of Eve: The Movie" and really enjoyed it. I thought a lot of it was simply hilarious, has anybody else seen it?

Still trying to find time to watch Cowboy Bebop =/ I'm having trouble starting series' lately because I'm concerned I won't find time to see it through properly. It's a problem.
  46. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

look up the works of Satoshi Kon... he is my favorite anime director (when it comes to movies)

he did
    perfect blue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Rj7nn0ZVs
    tokyo godfathers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q6mcx2qF4Q
    paprika
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0

and the paranoia agent series which had like the greatest opening ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U

not gonna recomend my usuals since I doubt you would like many of them... but if you like anime movies kon is a great choice RIP
  47. repomech

Just a heads up, the first installment of the megaton anime recommendations post - 15 greats of the 80's is coming along nicely and I should have something up by February.

Amen to that (if you scroll back to the beginnings of this thread you'll see I've been planning to inject some Satoshi for a while now).

And let's not forget that masterpiece, Millenium Actress.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE
  48. theMightyME

I've decided to marathon the works of satoshi kon... I have seen like half of them.... but I want to marathon them all

did you ever read his farewell note? I read the whole thing back when it came out.. was a soggy mess of tears and hair for like an hour after.... how many people get that chance, to know they are going to die, and to write down their thoughts in that regard... and how many actually do? satoshi kon did.... I felt so close to him reading those final thoughts, but it wrecked me too
  49. juegosmajicos

He is sorry! Fucking selfless guy. I did watch several of his movies before his passing, and I thought they were brilliant but was never compelled to watch the rest of his body of work. I watched Millenium Actress, Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Tokyo Godfathers at different points, aware that they were all by him but without the intent of completing his body of work, unlike I did for a while with Akira Kurosawa. All the same, they're all great films and I still want to watch the rest of his work, I just haven't set my mind to it yet.
  50. theMightyME

you have seen almost everythign already if you only want to go over what he actually directed... he did a 1 minute short called "good morning" and then there is a 13 episode anime series called paranoia agent... otherwise you've seen everything he did.... there is 1 other movie but it is unreleased, it is about 1/3 finished based on his storyboards and notes and such, but ran out of funding... I wish madhouse (the animator) would do a kick starter or something... I would chip in