Nintendo Switch - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Wolven, Oct 23, 2016.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

You're not. I just haven't been up to date on this thread.

I go to Destructoid for my news and they only had this posted today, I didn't check the date on the vg247 article. I love Destructoid but they can be a bit behind on the news.
  2. sjmartin79

sjmartin79 White Phoenix of the Crown

So, this got me even more excited for the Switch

So, according to Obe1Plays, and he says his sources are gonna be pissed at him for revealing this... but there is a brand new Metroid coming! He won't say if it is 1st person or 3rd person. He knows, but won't say. He clarified it is a brand new game and definitely not a port. He did say he doesn't think it will be revealed tomorrow, more likely E3.

Edit: Also, he said the game above is coming from an unexpected developer.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. FriedShoes

FriedShoes Money Modster Staff Member Moderator

Oh I knows, I dont think anyone has the ability to ignore me, haha.
    • LOL LOL x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CitizenOfVerona

Whose this? Has he been right before?

Ignored.
    • LOL LOL x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sjmartin79

I had never heard of him till recently. Then I saw him interacting with Laura Kate Dale and Emily Rogers, and LKD backed up a few of his rumors, so I started seeing what he had to say.
    As always, just rumors, but that last one would make me very happy.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. juegosmajicos

juegosmajicos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

In that case I wouldn't hate it so bad. I think people really understate how awful it is to have to pay extra to play games online. It basically doubles the price of your console over its 5 or 6-year lifespan. That's $300 that could go into games of your actual choosing (instead of whatever's discounted or free that month), or another system (with free online).

I just really hope I don't have to pay a subscription fee to play Splatoon online.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CitizenOfVerona

Thanks for the info SJ

I paid one month of PS Plus and then never renewed it. I don't play multiplayer these days so, meh. I mean, it'll suck if that's a thing Nintendo decides to do, but I doubt I'll use it
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Shoulder

Shoulder Shouldy McShoulderface chippin' in

First off, I never said you had to pay to play online with my suggest Nintendo premium service, but it is certainly implied. Nintendo could meet in the middle by providing a premium service, and offer specials like what I suggested, BUT still allow you to play online with your friends for free. So as an example, maybe a premium service has it so all 1st party DLC is included (like a season pass, but includes all 1st party games), but it does not exclude those without the service, or those without DLC.

Another potential option could be similar to the deluxe digital promotion where digital games give you money back as a bonus.

Basically, there are loads of ways to have a premium service without resorting to pay to play online. Not saying it will or won't happen. Just an idea is all.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FriedShoes

Dont think I was replying to you, just the general sentiment of it all. Preaching to the choir tho, I just laid out similar sentiments above.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Paid subscription for advanced features like group/team chat maybe? Free for everyone else.
    • smh... smh... x 1
  11. CitizenOfVerona

I was actually thinking about this lately. What with the U dead and all, I was wondering if Shovel Knight would continue offering the free campaigns on the U. With Yooka-Laylee cancelled I wondered if other indies would jump ship as well (well I guess at this point there's no ship to jump from, just a life boat) Shovel Knight is getting a Switch port.

https://www.destructoid.com/shovel-...ntendo-switch-port-and-much-more-411370.phtml

They say "all systems" will continue getting updates, so maybe the mad men will give U owners the two more campaigns. There's also 2 player co-op coming to all systems and not locked behind a fucking amiibo. 4 player battle and gender swap mode are also a thing that's eventually coming.

Thing is, if you already own it, you're set. The game is turning into Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. Once that update hits, future owners can purchase each campaign separately. Don't want to play as Shovel Knight but want Plague of Shadows, well just buy Plague of Shadows.

It's a bit confusing all said. I'm tempted to re-buy the game on PS4 before that updates hits anyways just because at the rate their making the new updates, I doubt the Wii U will see King's Knight campaign but we never know.

edit: Hmmm....

http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight-treasure-trove-qa/

So apparently the Treasure Trove model isn't happening on Wii U, yet they say

If I already own Shovel Knight on 3DS/PC/Mac/Linux/Wii U/XB1/PS4/PS3/PS Vita/Amazon Fire will I still get Specter of Torment, King Knight, and Battle Mode for free?
    Yes. However, as always, Battle Mode is a local-play-only game and so will not appear on 3DS and PS Vita.

So options going forth are keeping our Wii U versions intact or simply buying Specter Knight and King's Knight campaign if you detest the idea of playing on old hardware
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. FriedShoes

Nintendo NY is taking preorders on Friday.
    So on top of possibly lining up on launch day I'll also have to line up on preorder day.
    Just fantastic.
    I do hope that the word doesnt get out, the NES Classic lines were reasonably small, if they are that level on Friday I think I can make that.
  13. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 Fresh starts now Staff Member Moderator

Well there is one I'm instantly rebuying on Switch. AWESOME!!!

*its a secret to everyone. Gamestop is takin preorders Friday*

• R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  14. Goodtwin

Goodtwin Well-Known Member

Is it possible to come away disappointed tomorrow? My lord, the anticipation had gone on for so long that one has to wonder if the Switch can possibly live up to our expectations. What if we watch the event and we basically already knew everything, would that be a total let down? Or would you be jacked that all the rumors were legit? New hardware is always exciting, its part of being a hardcore gamer, we cant help but get geaked about new consoles and what that means for your gaming for the forseeable future. Switch is going to open up my gaming opportunities exponentially. The ability to play my favorite games during my lunch break alone is giving me 5 hours a week of gaming that I haven't been accustomed to.

For tomorrow, what I hope to see more than anything is a few unexpected third party exclusives. Switch will not be the premier platform for AAA Western publishers, it just wont. But I think the Switch can be a sanctuary of sorts for many developers. With Platinum recently shutting down development for Scale bound, most likely terminating partnership with Microsoft, this opens up the door for Switch to not only be a viable platform for Platinum, but to be "the" platform for Platinum. Same goes for Sega, who consistently finds the most success on Nintendo platforms while be drowned out on other platforms. Nintendo platforms are a place where niche games can succeed, and honestly a place where more modest hardware specs actually level out the playing field a little.

Closing in on 24 hours before the big blow out. Its crazy, I can remember thinking back in November that the reveal seemed so far off, and here we are. Nintendo will either go down as crazy for waiting so long to fully reveal the Switch, or geniuses. Success or failure with dictate which is which. Amazing how that works, geniuses were once thought to be crazy until they were later proven right. Cant wait for tomorrow night!
    • Like Like x 3
  15. CitizenOfVerona

Pre-orders are up for the Nintendo Story in NY so it's not all that surprising Gamestop would be taking pre-orders. The system comes out in 2 months. Pre-orders are crazy though, you can pre-order games sometimes without a trailer released or anything.

That's why I don't get hyped. How many directs have happened where the general consensuses is that it sucked? Hell, you remember the E3 where Retro announced Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze? My god I've never seen the front page act so...childish. I always look forward to a Direct or conference, but I don't let it get out of control. I like just taking things as is without hype clouding how I would react to something.

I'm intrigued and yeah, tomorrow might go by slow (I gotta wait until after midnight). I want Nintendo to surprise me and not be a "safe" lineup of games. As I wrote previously, I too want the "whoa didn't see that coming" type games to get me on board. I don't see Nintendo changing much but I want to be proven wrong here.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. FriedShoes

I've definitely overhyped myself, but I never get disappointed when I do, its easy to sink down imo.

I do think people over-leaked themeselves, a lot of the more surprising things might not be so surprising at the event. Granted, a lot of the leaks were easy speculation, which is why I hope there's some bigger surprises hidden around.

I dont quite know how they'll be showing off trailers or footage of games. Are the streams going to show different trailers based on region or will it just be Japanese ones? I think the fact that all the regions are being centered around this one Japanese event is telling about one of the features of the Switch (region-free). Its gotta be a wacky show production wise if they have to handle all that.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. FriedShoes

Repeat 24 times until enlightenment is reached.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 6
  18. Socar

Socar Active Member

I still don't know what time its for me to watch the switch.....
  19. theMightyME

theMightyME Editor in Chief of TVEnthusiast

It is 8pm Pacific standard time... Google the rest
  20. Shoulder

So, let's say you live in New Delhi, that is 11 1/2 hours ahead of my time, so for many of us who live in the Central Standard Time in the US, that is 10pm Thursday for us, which means it's 9:30am Friday morning for New Delhi.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. theMightyME

• Like Like x 2
  22. Goodtwin

I'm going to be sleepy tomorrow. :p

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  23. CitizenOfVerona

Same. The conference doesn't start until after midnight for me. That said, I've been staying up until 1:30 all week anyways....

....and I stayed up until 2/2:30 fishing in FF XV the other night.
    • Like Like x 3
  24. sjmartin79

I can definitely admit that I'm overhyped. For me, tonight, I'm okay if I know most of the things they announce. Legitimizing any of the rumors I like is good in my book. I mainly want the when, what, and how much. Definitive info, and I'm good.

I feel like I give companies more leeway with a new console presentation. E3 I'm a little more judgmental about.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Socar

Socar Active Member

Please teach me how to calculate this timing period because I sure as hell can't figure it out myself.

And thanks btw!
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Shoulder

You mean in terms of fast forwarding, or going backwards in time, or rather the method on how to figure out which time zone you are in?

Either way, in terms of time zones, that's an easy google search, and since I figured you were in or around the New Delhi area, I just looked up what time it was there and compared to my current time.

EDIT: Since I know what time it is where I am (12:00pm), I know it it 11:30pm (11 1/2 hours ahead) Thursday night for you, and thus you'll likely be heading to bed soon.
  27. juegosmajicos

• Like Like x 2
  28. CitizenOfVerona

I wonder if the 3rd Party support will be late ports once again. This, Skyrim, whatever the lastest NBA game was, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. juegosmajicos

• Like Like x 1
  30. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 9.30 tomorrow morning...

Edit: I genuinely thought I was the first person to respond to that. :mfacepalm:
    • LOL LOL x 2
  31. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Well, we're just over 6 hours away from the event, and I have, somewhat embarrassingly, forgotten about its imminent arrival TWICE in the last few days. Either my memory is getting REALLY bad, or I'm just not that hyped at all...

Hopefully I will wake up at 7am tomorrow and be blown away by what I see.
    And then when I've stopped staring at my girlfriend's titties, maybe I'll watch the Switch conference.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  32. mattavelle1

I c wut u did thar :mmischief:
    • Like Like x 1
  33. theMightyME

so I am pretty sure that socar is a troll now, nobody is that thick
  34. juegosmajicos

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 1
  35. Goodtwin

Lego City deserves a larger audience. It really is a delight to play. Laugh out loud moments, and charming as hell the entire time. It was fun on Wii U, but it's framerate was not great. If you didn't play it on Wii U, it's worth a look on other consoles in a few months.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
    • Like Like x 4
  36. theMightyME

framerate wasn't the issue with the game.. LOAD TIMES were
    • Like Like x 2
  37. sjmartin79

Didn't play it, but watched the trailer and it looks great. Has been added to my list. (I loved LEGO Marvel, so I have faith in other LEGO games.)
  38. CitizenOfVerona

Never played a Lego game but I'd be lying if I said Undercover didn't have my attention.

That said, after I pick up Gravity Rush 2 next week I'm done buying games. I have about a dozen or so I wouldn't mind getting through.

Ahh who am I kidding, I love spending money too much. I'll be at EB Games by the end of the month....week....day.

Brb going to EB Games
    • Like Like x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  39. mattavelle1

I'm suspecting this EB run has other intentions besides games behind it...........
  40. FriedShoes

Lego City is one of my Wii U faves. So funny and charming and ambitious for a Lego game. Dont think many others really reached those levels again. Just too much to do and unlock too, its crazy.

As I said before, I only hope the Switch version of the game retains all the good Nintendo easter eggs.
    • Like Like x 2
  41. TechnoHobbit

TechnoHobbit Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk

Cautiously optimistic about the event, but trying to keep my expectations low.

The stakes are high in my case. As an admintent Nintendo fanboy this will be one of the first times in a long while Nintendo will actually need to work hard at selling me on their new console.
    • Like Like x 3
  42. CitizenOfVerona

Yeah, she's a doll
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  43. mattavelle1

Hell yeah I ain't mad at you friend:mgrin:
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

4 Minutes DAWGS!
    • Like Like x 2
  45. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

[​IMG]

Doing it up!
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  46. sjmartin79

We've got it up on the TV. Cocktails in hand. Ready to go!
    • Like Like x 3
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  47. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

We got a badass on stage
    upload_2017-1-12_22-32-8.png
    • LOL LOL x 1
  48. CitizenOfVerona

Safe to say I'm skipping launch. May even skip 2017.

Xenoblade 2 I'm so mixed on. Xenoblade didn't a sequel, XCX did. I enjoy Xenoblade more, but the cliffhanger was unbearable. Fuck.

No More Heroes 3 though, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes!
    • Like Like x 2
  49. sjmartin79

Sign me up for launch!
    And the list of games coming? Yes! No More Heroes 3!
    So excited for XCX 2! (I'm in the minority, but I preferred XCX over XC)
    And yes for Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey!!
    Would have preferred $250 but I'll take $300.
    All in all, I'm quite happy.
    • Like Like x 2
  50. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall Bruh

Nintendo always excellent with their first-party games and trailers. I'm hyped. But where was third-party? Nintendo can't afford another Wii U.

I nut myself with that Zelda trailer. Nintendo always makes their trailers exciting.
    • Like Like x 2