**Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Discussion**

Discussion in 'Wii U & 3DS' started by juegosmajicos, Mar 18, 2013.

1. juegosmajicos

juegosmajicos JUEG IS DEAD.... Staff Member Moderator

It's monster hunting time!
    [​IMG](here's a high-rez close-up version of that picture: http://voltagedx.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/monster-hunter-freedom-unite-20090513010910924.jpg)
    Everything Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate goes in here, unless we figure out we need a different thread for different stuff. I know in IGN, for Monster Hunter Tri, we had separate Friend Code and Tips/Hints threads, and both were positively bustling. We might end up doing that here later, but right now it seems a safe bet to just stick to one thread.
    I will be editing relevant things to this OP as I find them or as they come along.
    -----------------------
    RELEASE DATES:
    North America - 19th March, 2013
    Europe - 22nd March, 2013
    Australia - 23rd March, 2013
    NEWS/UPDATES:
    -First patch will come in a month after release. It will allow for cross-region online play and gamepad-only support, so that North Americans and Australians can play together, each from their respective bathrooms.
    HOW IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT FROM MONSTER HUNTER TRI?
    Boy am I glad you asked that question. Capcom answered that themselves on their blog, Capcom-Unity:http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2013/03/15/just-how-big-is-monster-hunter-3-ultimate

If you've been curious about some of the exact numbers regarding Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, today is your lucky day. Some of you might have thought this was just a port of Monster Hunter Tri (Wii), but it is actually much much more.

Just for reference, the Japenese title of MH3U is Monster Hunter 3G (or Tri G), and you know... when they add that "G" to the title, they mean business - that is, they don't hold back on content, so you can expect Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to be totally packed with stuff for you to see and do! Here's the breakdwon:

Starting with some of the most exciting aspects, there are a total of 73 different (both small and large) monsters, including all of the monsters from Monster Hunter Tri, most of the ones introduced in the Japan-only Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and the fan favorite hip-checkin' Plesioth (and the Green Plesioth). On top of that, they added a couple of new subspecies and rare species and the brand new Brachydios!

So if the last MH game you've played was Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP), brace yourself because this game is pretty much all new content for you. If you've been playing Monster Hunter Tri, however, here's the list of new targets you can expect to hunt:

from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Anteka (small)
    Bullfango (small)
    Azure Rathalos (subspecies)
    Silver Rathalos
    Pink Rathian (subspecies)
    Gold Rathian
    Plesioth
    Green Plesioth (subspecies)
    Black Diablos
    Nargacuga
    from Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
    Gargwa (small)
    Slagtoth (small)
    Wroggi (small)
    Arzuros
    Great Wroggi
    Lagombi
    Volvidon
    Nibelsnarf
    Duramboros
    Zinogre
    Crimson Qurupeco (subspecies)
    Purple Ludroth (subspecies)
    Jade Barroth (subspecies)
    Baleful Gigginox (subspecies)
    Sand Barioth (subspecies)
    Steel Uragaan (subspecies)
    Glacial Agnaktor (subspecies)
    Green Nargacuga (subspecies)

new to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Brachydios
    Rust Duramboros (subspecies)
    Stygian Zinogre (subspecies)
    Lucent Nargacuga (subspecies)
    Ivory Lagiacrus (subspecies)
    Abyssal Lagiacrus (subspecies)
    Savage Deviljho (subspecies)
    Hallowed Jhen Mohran (subspecies)
    Goldbeard Ceadeus (subspecies)
    ... and a brand new final boss!

Whoa... that was a long list! Sounds like you're going to need some help. And that's why Monster Hunter 3 Ultimatenot only features local (3DS) and online (Wii U) multiplayer, but it also adds one new A.I. shakalaka companion. If you liked Cha-Cha, then you're gonna like Kayamba too! And if you didn't like Cha-Cha, you have one more thing in common with Kayamba, since they are rivals... so in the end, you're gonna like 'em either way. =P

Anyways, you can customize both of them with various abilities, dances and a total of 18 masks that give them additional special abilities!

Now onto some other nitty-gritty numbers, there are...

211 new quests (being 63 from the Village High-rank, 136 from the Port Tanzia G-rank and 12 Arena quests). New total is 339, not event counting the free DLC quests!!!

2042 new pieces of equipment broken down as follows:
    - 59 Great Swords, 83 Long Swords, 71 Sword & Shields, 122 Dual Blades, 73 Hammers, 99 Hunting Horns, 78Lances, 108 Gunlances, 76 Switch Axex, 91 Heavy Bowguns, 96 Light Bowguns, 115 Bows; Total number of weapons is now 1398!
    - 1028 new Armor pieces; Total number of amor pieces is now 1663!
    Now the total number of equipment is 3061! Can you believe it?

And there are also 3 new areas: The Tower, Misty Peaks and the Tainted Sea

It's really a lot of content! So next time someone tells you this is just a port of MHTri, please prove them wrong with the stats above. I think by the time you get to the 15th new monster, they'll get the idea.
  2. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it's going to take me a while to collect every weapon...
  3. Aki64

Aki64 Apex Predator

The Wii U version is getting really good reviews. 90, 88, and 80.
  4. EthanGK

EthanGK The blunder from down under

............TOO...MUCH...WAAAAAAAAANT! I was praying someone wouldn't make this thread. I just can't handle it, five days away without a guarantee that I will be able to play it day one :'( It's just too hard!I'm dying to fight the subspecies most of all!
  5. thelittlelaughingman

thelittlelaughingman Electromaster

I need to get around to playing the demo.
  6. FriedShoes

FriedShoes Based Mod Staff Member Moderator

AAAH my frothing demand for this game increases.
  7. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 (Mod)ern Day Renaissance Man Staff Member Moderator

Im extremely excited to finally play this game for the first time. I think it was a very wise choice for me to wait and play the game with vets who can teach me, rather than slog my way trying to figure it out myself. Its all most monster hunting time!!!!!!
  8. Aki64

Aki64 Apex Predator

You'll definitely pick up some of the tricks of the trade, but it's definitely good to learn some of the stuff yourself since it's based on personal preference like which weapon you use.
  9. mattavelle1

I know already I'm gonna be a bow man. I just gotta learn how the game plays from the vets. About my play style I will learn the bow like a boss, and they will call me Legolos.
  10. Aki64

Aki64 Apex Predator

I know already I'm gonna be a bow man. I just gotta learn how the game plays from the vets. About my play style I will learn the bow like a boss, and they will call me Legolas.

Fixed.
    He's a cool dude, but you know what? You can be like Legolas x Hawkeye
  11. mattavelle1

Damn I knew I spelled it wrong thanks for the fix.
  12. running_in_jam

running_in_jam Videogame Sound Designer and Composer

MONSTERRRR HUNTERRRRRR

I am sad only because I won't be able to play with you guys :(

On the other hand it's monster hunter, and nobody should be sad when playing monster hunter! Not unless they just got squashed by a jho!
  13. mattavelle1

Running do you have a WiiU?
  14. running_in_jam

Nope :( gotta be the 3DS version for me my friend
  15. mattavelle1

OK cause I was about to say, "how do I not have you added yet"
  16. running_in_jam

Matt, the minute I get a Wii U, you'll be added so fast you won't know what hit you!!

Except you will, because you'll see it was me that added you.

Look forward to it!! :p
  17. EthanGK

This is your first time playing Monster Hunter Matt? I'd definitely recommend playing offline first, man. The monster are weaker and it gives you a feel for how much damage you have to personally do in online hunts. If you play online first, then play offline, you'll probably realise that you haven't really been doing any damage :p
    The game may knock you on your butt the first time you go up against a monster, or it might not and the knocking-you-on-your-butt will happen later (notice that there is no option for the game to never knock you on your butt, that's because that option doesn't exist, trust me). Plus the online has a much steeper learning curve, to the point where it doesn't teach you any of the vast amount of things there are to learn in this game.
    If you want to get any feel for how much damage you're doing with that shiny new weapon (because sometimes it can feel like a lot and not be), I think you need to play offline for at least a little bit first. The offline definitely doesn't hold your hand, but it helps you a bit.How'd you go on the demo, by the way? This is all assuming you haven't figured it all out yet. Even if you have though, you should probably play offline to be independent and learn to make and use items and find materials for gear.
    Now to just hope I haven't lost my groove! I killed both demo monsters first go, but I don't know if they were weak ones for the demo or not.
    This time I will be playing with a GS, which I have only slightly used before. My favourite way to dish out the hurt on the monster is to cut and break its parts and then focus on its weak point, which the GS is good for. For beginners, you can really start out with anything and learn it, but if you feel the weapons are too hard to use (which happens to lots of people at first) definitely go the Dual Swords, the Sword and Shield, or if you want to go ranged go for the Bow first (though usually the ranged weapons aren't ideal for beginners, because its hard to get a feel for how much damage you're outputting, which is most likely very little if you're not using them right).
    Happy Hunting, fellas!
  18. mattavelle1

Tomorrow will 100% be the first time I have ever picked up and played a MH game. And thanks for the advice Ethan.
  19. EthanGK

You may regret the purchase of it at first, but try it again and that will disappear. Also, at the start (and probably always) make sure you're completely stocked up on the necessities (potions, mega potions, well-cooked meat, whetstones) when going to fight a big fella. That's the most I can really give you to begin with, the rest you'll figure out as you go along. I'm starting to really doubt that I have the patience to wait for this game until the 23rd without exploding. So no demo or anything? That might be for the best for a beginner. Good luck!
  20. mattavelle1

I didn't guy the game cause I won't give it an honest shake. I will put in time to figure it out. This ain't my first Capcom game, difficult to learn game, of extreme depth game. Ill figure it out and be good to roll.
  21. EthanGK

Sounds like you'll be fine. One last piece of advice because I can't help myself. If you are going to troll others, use a switchaxe, any switchaxe because you won't be causing direct damage, so it can be the basic one. It is so easy to knock people flying into the hungry mouth of a monster with it. I wouldn't do it to you guys, but I will do it to complete strangers because I'm an arsehole :p
  22. mattavelle1

Surly by now you know me better than that. I would never troll game or forum not my style, and I consider it a waste of my time all the way around.
  23. EthanGK

Didn't mean to give you the wrong impression, perhaps I shouldn't have called it trolling. Sometimes you'll get in an online group of people who like to mess around, not to anger people or anything, but just for fun. When that time comes, if you're stuck with an SnS there won't be much you can do. It's not a destructive thing, you still aim to take down the monster, just at the same time you try to get the others into bad situations and they do the same to you. It's kind of an extra challenge that can make things hilarious.
  24. FriedShoes

I've trolled this game in the past, other regulars here can attest to that. I've changed a lot since then, can't wait for tomorrow.
    a new funny promo videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSUxpDLkMM
  25. Koenig

Koenig Resident forum lurker.

I forgot that this game comes out tomorow...Well, time to re-double my efforts to get my homework out of the way. Hopefully i can join you guys online soon.
  26. EthanGK

Yup, trolling is a legitimate playstyle in this game, so long as you find a group of people who are up for it. I would never do it to a beginner or a serious player who was just really trying to take down that difficult monster. Usually people just do it when fighting things like Qurupeco, where you have a bit of time for mucking around and you can get your buddies set on fire hahaha
    I love the advertising crew on these games, they're really good at their job
  27. FriedShoes

I plan on doing that, but when I say trolling the game I mean I went on forums and told people it sucked. I regret it.
  28. EthanGK

Oh dear, that's a mistake you don't make twice with Monster Hunter fans hahaha
  29. AniGamer

AniGamer TNE Clan Owner

Truly excited, hoping someone on here will be able t get it for me!
  30. juegosmajicos

I want to wait for the target deal, but I don't know if I can contain myself the whole night. I want to just go straight to a walmart at midnight to get this baby beast.
  31. NintendoMan

NintendoMan Active Member

Get some sleep and go to Target. This game is going to cancel most of your life for a few months anyway. The leftovers will go to NFS.
  32. EthanGK

Lol leftovers.There ain't gonna be any leftovers (just kidding my schedule is going to be so packed up that really Monster Hunter will probably be the leftovers in my life :p That's why I'm considering picking up Lego City as well, it seems like a game that you can easily play for a short amount of time unlike MH.).EDIT: So yeah, in regards to the trolling @mattavelle1 I probably shouldn't have said it like that. It wouldn't really be considered trolling because it is consensual , but it's kind of where it originated from. Sorry if I offended you, bud.
  33. NintendoMan

NintendoMan Active Member

Consensual Trolling? Open message board relationship?
  34. EthanGK

Strangely enough, that was the least weird way I could think of for saying that. :))
  35. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

MONSTER HUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had a chance to catch up on this thread and have been generally AWOL and swamped the past week. In a twist of cosmic injustice I haven't even had a chance to pick up a copy of the new StarCraft installment and I have to apologize because I wanted to be up and running with a brand spanking new WiiU tonight to hunt day 1 with you all, but that is going to have to wait until this Friday/Weekend. Been very crazy in bad ways and good ways with work and life right now. So once again, I am sorry I won't be online tonight with everyone (and believe me, no one is more busted up over that than I am - I can't even convey how excited I am for this game and to play it with everyone here), but soon, very soon.

@ juegos: pm me or I'll try to catch you in chat, but I am definitely good to do the Castlevania podcast, and I can probably squeeze some time in one evening this week (not tonight however), so let me know what your schedule is like. Thanks for the mention in the podcast btw (and nice job on it as well!).

In the meantime happy hunting everyone!
  36. mattavelle1

Repo did you get your WiiU?
  37. Aki64

Aki64 Apex Predator

Just got this game for Wii U and 3DS, I'm about to start it
  38. mattavelle1

Got my MH3U
  39. juegosmajicos

Going to be hunting beasts all day erryday.
    If I get hungry, I'll just cook me some mystery meat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP_7Yv-a4EE
    NO CARNE DE MONSTRUO.
  40. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall I have the courage not to ask you to a dick.

I won't be getting this game so early, but I have to say, this trailer is beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-5dLva5gg
    So glad Nintendo chose not to features kids playing MH or a father and son.
  41. EthanGK

I want it so bad! Three more days (at the least) is too much!
  42. Jacesonnall

Jacesonnall I have the courage not to ask you to a dick.

It's being shipped and should come in by Friday or early next week as I was told by him in chat.
  43. digital

digital Member

hopped straight online and killed a quru a r.ludroth and a rathian.
    just a little taste for now.
  44. running_in_jam

I feel you bro.

(Your pain not your actual person)

I've been playing the demo relentlessly to help pass the time.
  45. mattavelle1

Ok I got my update done and I just need to make my hunter and Ill be ready to go. I think Im already gonna like this game, I enjoy the art, and it seems kinda quirky and I dig that stuff. Very much looking forward to hunt with y'all.
  46. juegosmajicos

It's got all the sort of quirk that Zelda does, Matt. The old people grunting funny and the fangirls teasing the hero and all that. And a lot of puns.
  47. EthanGK

Yup, I loved the Mogan townspeople when I played Tri, they had a lot of character :) There are a lot of funny little references to modern culture.
  48. EthanGK

Just read this, though it probably doesn't apply to anyone (Cubits probably went Ozgameshop and there's only a couple of other aussies here) but there are apparently bad stock issues here in Aus, so if you plan on buying retail you might want to try and get a pre-order in if you still can, if you want this game soon that is. Everyone enjoying their hunting?
  49. Aki64

Aki64 Apex Predator

I just logged in right now, get some action in before class. I played for hours yesterday, I did about half of the level one quests and got myself some new armor and a new weapon. Longsword FTW!!!! I just wish that we didn't have to wait for the international release to get the data transfer and 3DS online apps from the eShop, I really wanted to take it with me to class since I usually have like two hours to burn after my only class today.
    I love the GamePad functionality in this game. I play with the both the GamePad and Pro Controller. I use the Pro Controller as the actual controller and then I have my map, target lock, item pouch, combo list, and signals set up on the GamePad. My setup is similar to the following picture.
    [​IMG]
  50. lAZY ][S

lAZY ][S Member

Money where art thou ?