Is This the Last Chance for Movies Based on Games?

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by CitizenOfVerona, Apr 25, 2016.

1. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

No point in sugar coating it, 99.9% of movie based games suck horse shit. Mortal Kombat 1 has a cult following but still not great.

Ratchet and Clank comes out Friday, and imdb has it at 7.9 at the moment. Not earth shattering fantastic, but could be decent. We'll see when more reviews get out closer to release.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2865120/

Sly Cooper, Assassin's Creed and World of Warcraft are also coming out this year.

The big difference is that Ass Creed is being made by Ubisoft themselves, and Sony is funding Sly and Ratcher, with some producers of the games being on board as well. This isn't Uwe Boll shit, it's being made by people who made the games. Not sure about Warcraft.

Honestly, I think games like Ratchet and Sly fit better for movies. They're pretty charming and while I haven't played Ratcher, Sly 1 had a straight forward plot with humor and such. You can turn them into CG animated movies without losing much in translation. I don't know how Sly will turn out, but after just having played the first game, I can see how a good movie could be born from it. A light hearted globe trotting adventure with action and charming characters.

Even Star Fox had an anime short for Zero, and Pikmin has those short films on the eshop. Seems like cartoony games translate better. Ass Creed being made by Ubisoft is interesting, but I don't really care about it myself.

We had movies and tv shows based on books, plays, comics, fucking Hasbro toys, and they can work. I guess games just need talent and love rather than Uwe Boll. I do think game based movies can work.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 4
  2. AutisAwsome

AutisAwsome AKA FloppyPony. I am on twitter and facebook to :3

I hope we get a good one. I am so fed up of the disappointment. :( The only good one I know that was good was Scott Pilgrim and that game had a rather lose story so I guess that is what made it work although they did the game references rather tastefully surprisingly. ;) I really worry about Sly movie :oops: I think it will reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally suck and it is going to be over shadowed by Zootopia anyway. I hope they don't try and just copy it or something. To be honest I hated the trailer although I like the game. It just felt forced but then again they all do o_O
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CitizenOfVerona

Scott Pilgrim was a comic though
    • Like Like x 2
  4. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

The game came way after the movie too.

I feel that videogames might be too big to ignore or fail now, so even if one movie spoils the batch, they'll continue to be produced. The quality of the games being adapted though is very much aimed at the young and casual, look at Five Nights at Freddy's and Angry Birds. I dont think I'll personally ever be interested in watching them, but I am welcome to more quality adaptations. I find that will be hard since most video game stories are mediocre.
    Would much rather have TV/episodic adaptations but that depends on what game is being adapted.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TheAmazingLSB

TheAmazingLSB PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

Maybe we should discuss what is wrong with the movies of the past based on games, so that we can narrow down exactly why Hollywood just doesn't get games and what makes the stories in some of them so great....

I mean, for one reason or another, it just seems like none of these guys are gamers....

And the guys that are making good movies that are gamers, arent making movies about games.....

In fact, in Hollywood, I would just assume the people who get to make these movies are looked down upon in a certain respect because they are in fact making movies about video games....

Like, there is that stigma in Hollywood that video games are still kids stuff, and movies about them are always bad, and if you get stuck directing one, it could sign your death warrent in Hollywood in terms of ever being taken seriously....

Let's take Warcraft for instance.... It's being directed by Duncan Jones....

He directed the movie Moon....

A very serious film, that is actually pretty good....

Then he directed Source Code....

A movie I have not seen, but seems to have been recieved very well....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/source_code/

So that bodes well for Warcraft at least having some serious potential to be a real film....

But I bet it wasn't easy for him to decide to do his film over say, another more serious movie....

My guess is he did it for the money, but that doesn't nessesarily mean the movie will end up being bad....

But it makes you wonder....

How hard is it for Hollywood to get serious directors excited about doing films about video games...?
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. CitizenOfVerona

I think that's another reason why a game like Sly makes more sense to adapt then Ass Creed. A Sly movie can really be about anything as long as shit gets stolen and Sly acts...sly. Ass Creed is so stuck in it's Asses vs Templar that a movie based on those games can only really tell the same story gamers already played every year since it came out.

I only watched the first two episodes, but I even hear above average things about Sonic Boom the show.

I do agree though that as long as there are games and movies, there will be movies based on games. I feel like Hollywood studios are trying to find the next "Comic Book" boom. Spiderman, X-men and Iron Man proved the comics can work as movies and rank in serious dough. I feel like all we need is for Sly, Ratchet and maybe Warcraft to be good and suddenly you'll have the next Marvel Universe deal.

Maybe not however,but I do think if these movies are successful critically and financially we'll see a shit ton more in 2018 onwards.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CitizenOfVerona

Reminds me of Bryan Singer. Originally didn't want to do comic book movies cause he didn't like them, now X-Men is a big movie franchise cause of him.

I have no idea if this is correct or not, but I feel like younger movie makes would be better for games. Older people like Steven Speilberg and such just don't "get" games. I remember reading a few interviews with older directors saying how games don't amount to much, and I believe James Cameron said a game can't make anyone feel any emotions at all.

Meanwhile, newer directors who grew up with Mario and Zelda probably have more respect. As I said in my post above, we just need that "X-Men 1" to break the barrier and suddenly you'll get more directors who has a respect for games.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. TheAmazingLSB

I think that is a great point about younger directors making movies about games being a better fit....

If you think about it, older film directors grew up playing games too, but they were so bare bones in story that they almost didn't have to have one....

They come from a time when games were all about gameplay, not story....

But these younger guys grew up playing story heavy games, rich in lore and characterization....

Something these older directors never really experienced from games....

To them, games with story elements like GoW or Unchatred might as well be an interactive film from there view....

To have that idea swapped though, it would give these guys a clearer idea of how story in games is just as important these days as gameplay or graphics....

And it deserves the same kind of treatment a great book would get if being turned into a script for a film....

Very good point CoV....
    • Like Like x 2
  9. AutisAwsome

could you please stop referring to assissins creed as 'ass' lol :D also I want ass vs Templar to be a movie hehehe:D
    • LOL LOL x 3
  10. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

I'll tell you exactly why video game-to-movie adaptations don't usually work, and it's simply this: Video games are meant to be interactive, so your objective is to actually be part of the game. You are engaged in it. You decide the outcome. Books and Movies themselves don't do that. You are basically along for the ride, and you have no control as to how it proceeds.

And it gets worse with games with multiple endings. What is then considered canon? Take for example, the original Deus Ex. Not only is it the same very much story driven, but a lot of the encounters you can have in the game are not necessarily part of the main story. The thing is, a lot of those NPC encounters or mini quests you can engage in help fill the story and the characters. Not in the least to mention that the game itself has three different ending choices, AND to top it all off, you have many decisions that can be made throughout the entire game, that may or may not cause certain characters to live or die.

And to top it even further, you can play the game guns blazing, or stealth. So which one works in the setting of a movie? For a summer blockbuster, gun blazing action would suffice, but is that really the character JC Denton? But Hollywood wouldn't likely care about any of that except if it can make them money.

Granted, I am using a rather complicated example here (I am aware that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is being made into a movie), but I think there's just far too much included into games that cannot be translated well into a movie. You'd be much better off if you did a VG adaptation and it was a TV miniseries. At least then, you get that character development, and can include smaller bits that were part of the game in the first place.

But then you have games which are in many ways just interactive cinematic adventures. Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, The Order: 1886, and quite a few others. They heavily rely on cinematics, and quality voicework and mocap, and between scenes it's mostly a very linear experience. At that point though, I ask myself if even having a movie based on games like that is even worth it, because we already have the movie right here.

Now, as far as Sly Cooper, Warcraft, and Assassin's Creed goes, Sly Cooper could turn out like Ratchet & Clank, meaning it'll likely do well enough because it's an animated movie, and most people love animated films. Warcraft could go either way, but the trailers do give it some hope, and it doesn't look like a Uwe Boll movie. Assassin's Creed? Isn't that trailer just a bunch of clips from other movies editted together to create this trailer?
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't know about this stigma in Hollywood. Do you know any articles where I could find out more about it?
  12. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Usually, films are adapted from writing. So it's natural to make a film from a comic book or a book. For games, you need to have a writer first to make a good script.

But how to make a good script for something that isn't a story? What kind of script could you write for Mario that both gamers and general audience would enjoy? It's a challenging task.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. CitizenOfVerona

Yeah, that just goes back to what I think though, but you do raise a good point. Deus Ex shouldn't be turned into a movie for the above reasons. And even games that focus on multiplayer first like Call of Duty and Halo wouldn't be good choices either.

A movie based on Sly has more freedom in the sense that the story in the game is relatively straight forward i.e. get the magaffin. The charm comes from the character interactions between Sly, Bentley and Murray. In my opinion, a movie just needs a straight forward goal for Sly to steal, and focus on the character interactions. Just like how Mad Max Fury Road had a thing set up to focus on balls out vehicular action.

I guess though you could argue then "well, why does it have to be Sly, couldn't it be anything?" Yeah, I guess that's true, because as you say, games live or die on how well it plays unless you're a walking simulator. But again, if I watch a Sly movie, it would be because I want to see Bentley yell at Sly for planning the impossible, then Sly playing cool and flirting it up with Carmelita. I think the characters and charm can translate very well to a movie and I think that's the most important thing in making a movie based on a game. Deus Ex simply has too much from play styles, to endings, to side characters.

So I still do think you can have a good movie based on a game. As everyone discussed so far, I think all we need is a writer and director who respects the source material and a relatively simple plot that focuses on a core group of characters doing what they do.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. TheAmazingLSB

http://www.acopa.net.au/acopa/the-stigma-of-video-game-films/

http://kotaku.com/the-hilarious-list-of-video-game-movies-hollywood-is-tr-1565931352

http://www.thewrap.com/will-pixels-fall-victim-to-the-video-game-movie-curse/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ng-of-video-game-movies-adaptations/#/slide/1

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f...t-breaking-the-video-game-movie-curse-a126614

There is a lingering stigma associated with movies based on games, that they all suck....

Even if they can still be very profitable....

But you have to think about it like, these guys consider themselves artists....

And most of the world still considers games not to be art.... Unfortunatly....

And it's this kind of stigma that is attatched to anything having to do with games, even in this day and age....

It's not just movies that get frowned upon because they associate themselves with games....

It's everything.... Except the money....
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  15. CitizenOfVerona

Sorry, no can do. Ass away

Why are you asking a question in which we already know?

Serious answer: Mario may be too far on the simplicity chart. At least Sly already has a solid foundation and character interactions to base it on. Mario is just the bare bones of plot and character
    • LOL LOL x 5
  16. AutisAwsome

and yet they still couldn't get it right lol
    • LOL LOL x 3
  17. CitizenOfVerona

Never forget

• LOL LOL x 4
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
  18. 81jono81

81jono81 Active Member

All I have to say is that if they screw up the Last of Us movie, I will sue
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. AutisAwsome

20. FriedShoes

Would be impossible to screw up the adaptation of a game thats all cliches.
  21. 81jono81

81jono81 Active Member

Cliches are fine if they're executed perfectly and twisted enough to feel fresh. Which I'd argue TLOU did.
  22. FriedShoes

Such a low bar, but this is how it will continue. I won't complain.
  23. FriedShoes

WELL
    so far it has not been a good run. That Ass Creed trailer gives me PAUSE too, so idk.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. TheAmazingLSB

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASJ5903YMJ58PLZB00Z.html

Rough Translastion....

The possibility of "Zelda" movie? Listen to Nintendo Kimishima president
    At 03 May 16, 2016 02 minutes

[​IMG]

Kimishima Tatsumi president = Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo to respond to interview
    [PR]
     Nintendo is embark on the video business. Smartphone , such as attraction building in the development and theme parks of the app, it is part of the new business development of the non-game development of the core. I heard the future prospects in Kimishima Tatsumi president.

- Such as a game character intellectual property to new business by taking advantage of (IP) has been put in force. In April, the US Major League Baseball has announced that it will sell a majority of ownership of the Seattle Mariners, I heard that revenue also use the new business.

"Rights (to use the character licensedoes not use) directly if the business to obtain a use fee to give the money, for example, in new businesses such as the video business, do not have to invest a considerable amount of money. Team sale is final to when they can agree is that you want to use the part. "

- Because the video business Is movie.

"Typical of is the movie, such as the issue in various countries to make a video, I think that various business there. Now, we are talking to various partners. At a time not too far away, to confirm in some form, I want to do. "

- It was also live-action film of Super Mario in the past.

"Live-action version of the box office performance was not so good. This time licenserather than a, and I want to do it as much as possible themselves, I think at the moment."

- The partner, Hollywood film production company Is.

"For example, it is such a thing. Necessarily Hollywood or of the, where on whether to become the I think that I can talk to when I decided. But, I want to do it with a partner that can be deployed globally."

- Also live-action Is.

"Because you have done such a thing before, I guess not a live-action"

- (Engaged in the 3D animated film) do you go to do things like Disney and Pixar.

"Because we have the IP, we believe that it is also sort of thing. It even including, I think trying to embody"

- Production announcement, Is 2016 fiscal year.

I do not I would like is clearly a "fiscal year, we are a concrete story. Because I mean to say that you want to use Once you have entered the money in this year, not a use in five years. Than it I want to achieve before. "

- Video What "Super Mario" and "The Legend of Zelda".

"I want to use the IP that you popular in. However," It does not say that Mario ", only not say that you will be some of your familiarity"

- If a movie, I think in particular to ensure that the popular "Legend of Zelda" is facing abroad.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Nintendo Cinematic Universe would be huge.

Pokemon already has an anime and movies and it's been very well for decades.
    • Like Like x 2