Ideal Viewing Distance Enthusiast

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by EvilTw1n, Aug 12, 2014.

1. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

This is kinda interesting stuff.

http://carltonbale.com/home-theater/home-theater-calculator/

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

[​IMG]

The first link gives you a calculator for optimal viewing distance via an Excel spread sheet (ignore some of the "THX optimal" stuff). Mine is 6.2 feet for my 720p TV, which is conveniently almost exactly how far I sit away from my TV when I'm gaming. On the chart, that's pretty much precisely where the full benefit of 720p is visible, before you get into where 1080 starts showing a noticeable improvement.

There isn't much of a debate on 1080p vs. 720p anymore, because 1080 sets are getting cheaper and cheaper. But when I bought my first HDTV a few years ago, there was a legit price difference between them. I always found myself coming back to number 9 from this CNET article ("we still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality"). The links above pretty well underline the same conclusion, except you could probably make the argument that a 40" TV is where you should make sure you're getting 1080p. Below that, and you're going to really have put your mug up against the screen to notice a difference.

FWIW, I saw this stuff while surfing around gizmodo, reading about the relative pointlessless of PPI.
    http://gizmodo.com/5960191/techs-new-most-meaningless-spec-ppi
    [A 1080 display on a phone is wretched overkill. You really have to have a wicked vendetta against your battery if you want to power that many pixels on that small a piece of real estate.]
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

I bought my tv when I bought my Wii U, so a year and a half ago. The box and such says 720p, but every time I turn it on it says 1080p on the top right corner.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

Regardless, I'm usually 4 to 8 feet away (depending where I sit on my couch or bed
    • Like Like x 2
  3. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I play video games about 3 to 5 feet away from my 46 inch 1080p tv because I actually notice a drastic difference from the couch or chair 10 to 15 feet away. I look kind of silly with my computer chair all close like but its the only way to play. Especially when playing fast games like Mario Kart or games that require pinpoint accuracy you gotta be close!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CitizenOfVerona

CitizenOfVerona Spectacular Staff Member

[​IMG]
    • LOL LOL x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

My current TV is 37in (1080p), and the viewing distance is around 8 1/2 feet, so for 1080p, my TV should be around 70 inches for the full benefit. Dayum!

Looking at the chart further though, I can always meet in the middle and go for a 55in TV, so I don't entirely use my bank account. :p

A 55in is what I was always considering on upgrading to, so perhaps in the near future, I can always do that. I have no plans for 4K anytime soon as 1080p will still be around for years (Hell, TV doesn't even broadcast in 1080p yet, let alone 4K). I've had my current TV for around 7 years or so now, and it's still working very nicely.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

By the way, this is a handy dandy chart that I can show my wife that I NEED at least an 80 inch tv.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. EvilTw1n

Or you could just move up and sit about 5 feet away, instead. It's cheaper. ;) If this thread does nothing else, it'll help you get the most out of your set. Does make you wonder, though, how many people have their 50" 1080p televisions mounted to a wall, with them sitting about 10-15 feet away. They aren't getting the most out of their TV just by virtue of sitting a little too far away.

Also interesting that just a few years ago, in the PS2/GC/XB era, most TVs that people bought were below 30" (around the time the Wii launched, you could still buy 27" sets at Wal-Mart; I was still using a 19" set after college). Sit about 10 feet back, and the differences start melting away.

This all might be of interest to @Goodtwin now that I think on it. He's brought this topic up before, too, IIRC.
  8. Shoulder

I watch TV on my bed, and I don't feel compelled to put no distance between my bed and the TV stand. Bigger TV it is.
    • LOL LOL x 3
  9. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Well I have a 50" 1080p and I sit about 9 feet away. BUT I have to sit that far away because in my man cave the damn mantle is so high up that I have to sit that far away without breaking my damn neck looking up.

I feel like it works for me tho I'm nice and comfortable even if this list says I'm alittle far away which I probably am. But looking up vs. sitting farther way so I don't have to look up I like option 2 much better.
  10. Shoulder

I was going to say something, but it's about your wife, so maybe I shouldn't instead. It had to do with your issue looking up.
    • LOL LOL x 2
  11. EvilTw1n

You're close to that middle area, so I can see that working quite well.

Damn, I couldn't work with a 50" TV in my little apartment. I'd be close enough to give me a headache, most likely.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. EvilTw1n

Heh.
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/19/6045141/diablo-microsoft-resolution

It boggles my mind that there are people who will actually take slightly higher resolution over a locked framerate. I'm sorry, but these people are spec whores. They care about numbers* more than fun.

You think you can spot the difference between a 900p native game compared to a 1080p game? Look at the chart. Move back six inches. Problem solved.

[*They choose these numbers arbitrarily, btw. Resolution is now more important than framerate, because reasons.]
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  13. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

i play about 3-4 feet from my 46", so it makes a pretty huge difference to me. before i got my flat panel, i was gaming on a 720p and the difference was really clear. it's an important spec for me.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. EvilTw1n

[​IMG]

[I'd seriously have a headache from doing that.]
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

i drink a lot so i generally can't feel the inside of my head until the next day.
    • LOL LOL x 5
  16. Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Well-Known Member

My TV is a 1080p 62inch an I sit 10-20 feet a way from it.
  17. EvilTw1n

@simplyTravis was chatting with me about this very topic. This CNET article pretty well gives the synopsis of this topic over the years.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

And on resolution alone, it's still, y'know, true. But resolution isn't all there is to it. Which leads us here:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-tvs-arent-stupid-anymore/

Local dimming, HDR, and WCG are legit visual improvements. They'll be more easily noticeable than higher resolution. But...because 4K is easy to market, that is where all of these new innovations will be going. People will be buying 40"-50" televisions with a resolution bump of no discernible significance for the size. And meanwhile, those people will be talking about how awesome their 4K televisions look and they'll be referring to visual improvements that have nothing to do with resolution. Because reasons.
    • Like Like x 1
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1