Fixing the Nintendo Creators Program

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by Super Virtual Boy Show, Nov 15, 2016.

?

How should Nintendo fix its Creators Program?

1. Subscription model

33.3%
  2. Scrap it

50.0%
  3. Leave it alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None of the above

16.7%
  1. Super Virtual Boy Show

Super Virtual Boy Show Member

I'm sure most of you would think there's no point in discussing the Nintendo Creators Program at this point, but with the upcoming release of the Nintendo Switch, I think it would greatly benefit Nintendo to get as much exposure from as many of YouTube's gaming taste-makers and trend-setters as possible.
    I mean, I don't know about everyone else, but I want the Switch and its games to get as much exposure and find as much success as possible.
    Of course the simple solution would seem to be for Nintendo to just scrap the Creators Program and let everyone use footage from Nintendo's games free of charge; however, I strongly doubt Nintendo would do this. I mean, hey, it could happen (allowing the use of gaming footage free of charge is industry standard after all), but that doesn't sound like the Nintendo I know.
    I think it's far more likely that Nintendo isn't yet ready to give up on the Creators Program, but if they're going to keep it around, it will need a serious overhaul in order to become more appealing to those influential YouTubers.
    Luckily for Nintendo, I'm full of opinions no one asked to hear, and some of those might just be the solution to fixing the Nintendo Creators Program.

(I used the forum search function to look for a thread specific to this topic but only found scattered mentions in The Great Community Thread and Wii U Community Thread.)

2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

They recently, as in just yesterday, linked to a survey where they asked questions about the Creators Program, one of the options being that it should be scrapped.
    As much as I dont think it impacts sales, because they truly dont, and as much as I dont really care for Youtubers (not a slight at you lol, just the way I am) its still a blemish for their standing in the online community there and does hinder coverage.

Link to the survey https://t.co/LaY9ojEJNx
    • Like Like x 2
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  3. Karkashan

Karkashan Well-Known Member

I honestly don't give a crap either way since I've never partnered and I never will.

Nintendo putting ads on my videos doesn't concern me whatsoever. If they want that 5 cents I say let 'em have it.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Super Virtual Boy Show

Thanks for the link to the survey. I'll have to check that out.
    I respect your opinion of YouTube/YouTubers — it's not for everyone. That said, I disagree that YouTube videos (by which I mean videos from popular channels, not tiny channels like my own) don't impact sales. Even just anecdotally, I've bought games based on video reviews, and I'm sure many others have as well. The problem (IMHO) is that there's no way to know which videos are having an impact on sales, in what way and to what extent. There doesn't seem to be any empirical data to use, so it's all just speculation at this point.
    As a result, I think you're right in saying that the damage to Nintendo's overall public perception is more important. Plus, the less Nintendo-related content available to watch, the less time people spend being exposed to and/or thinking about Nintendo and its products.
    I think it would certainly boost Nintendo's popularity if they scrapped the Creators Program, but I can't see them doing that — at least not yet.

I think you're right to avoid partnering with Nintendo. Even though I'd argue the concept of the Creators Program has some merit, it's implementation just awful.
    I don't bother monetizing any of my videos, but the Creators Program still affects me by hindering other YouTubers from creating Nintendo-related content, some of which I enjoy watching.
  5. Karkashan

Lol I don't think you understood what I meant. I mean I will never be a Youtube Partner because I have no interest in making money off of Youtube. Making money off of Youtube would effect the way I produce videos, making them less about the fun of it and making them in a way that I enjoy and instead doing things in a way that's marketable and what other people want.

praisegrima
  6. Koenig

Koenig The Architect

I say scrap it and stop these take-downs altogether. It acts as a huge bottle-neck on reviews, lets plays, and fan-projects among the most game savvy portion of youtube, and serves only to generate ill will towards Nintendo.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Super Virtual Boy Show

That's a good way of looking at it. Creating videos can take a lot of time, so you might as well do it in a way you enjoy.

Quite right! I doubt Nintendo would suddenly scrap the program and stop the claims, but it would certainly be a welcome surprise and likely boost Nintendo's popularity.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Karkashan

They're not take-downs, KO, but rather Nintendo is claiming the ad-revenue. While there may be problems with the latter it's not nearly as severe as a strike can be to a channel.

praisegrima
    • Like Like x 1