Booze Enthusiast

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by Cubits, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

The best way to assess spirits without smashing your face in is this:

Instead of putting your nose to the glass and breathing in through your nose, put your nose to the glass and inhale through your mouth. This will create a gentle "vacuum" and lift the aroma into your nose at a much slower rate, allowing you to appreciate the more subtle aspects of the drink.

Now if you don't mind, it's a cool winter's night and i have a bottle of Laphroaig to fumigate my apartment with.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Burbon for me in the realm of brown liquors.
  3. BangSilverGang

BangSilverGang Member

Glenmorangie for me. I appreciate a good malt. Though there are times I prefer bourbon on a round ice.
  4. Cubits

Cubits Well-Known Member

Tallisker is a very nice, very obviously bourbon-barreled scotch. I'm a fan.

My fiance is actually a bourbon enthusiast, though she rarely has it straight-up. It's some misguided image of femininity she's trying to protect...

A great, lady-friendly cocktail based on bourbon is the bourbon smash. Muddled raspberry and mint leaves, bourbon, cranberry juice, and a dash of lime juice, sugar, and bitters. It really works, and the bourbon isn't crushed into the background.
  5. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

Obviously your lady is a bourbon enthusiast. She knows what class is.
  6. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

I recently got my hands on some Connemara - a peated single-malt Irish whiskey. It's a bit like an Islay scotch. And it's the most interesting damn whiskey I've ever had. If you sip it neat, it's got this amazing honeyed taste (but it isn't cloying). Toss it on the rocks, and out comes the scotch-y brine. Yet it always retains the floral notes and pot-still crack of an Irish. Put it in a cocktail, and you've got tons of depth. It's really an amazing whiskey. Highly, highly recommended.

But for an everyday scotch? I find it really hard to top Teacher's Highland Cream. It's the scotch for people who don't know they like scotch. It gives you a touch of smoke and brine, just enough to let you know it's a scotch.

Irish whiskeys are fantastic every-day drinkers, too. Jameson is the standard, but I'm more of a Tullamore Dew guy.

Lastly, on Matty's recommendation, I bought myself some Jim Beam Ghost. Yes, yes, I know. "A white whiskey?" This one isn't white dog or moonshine, though; it's been barrel-aged for only a year, then filtered again to remove color. I'm thinking it's going to work great in a Moscow Mule.

There is nothing hotter than a woman drinking whiskey, straight up.

[​IMG]

[And Johnnie Walker Black is a fantastic dram, too. Winston Churchill, Christina Hendricks, various Middle Eastern dictators and Christopher Hitchens can't all be wrong.]
  7. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

I just got this stuff on a recommendation from the liquor store manager, or whatever she is. I trusted her because last time she recommended my brother a Rum that not only made me stop distrusting Rum, but actually got me to like it (proof is in the second-to-last podcast, the Microsoft-centric one, if I recall).
    [​IMG]
    How prole is it? Considering it cost me about $15 for 750ml, what else of comparable or better quality could I have gotten with that money? I know I've gotten some Brandy I really like (E&J XO Extra Smooth) for about $13, and they're both around the same alcohol by volume percentage if I recall.
    Also to Bourbon Master-In-Chief @mattavelle1, have you tried that Jesse James bourbon? Thoughts?
  8. mattavelle1

I have not had Jesse James, Jueg. And by rule I rarely if ever by alcohol that has the name of a famous Western figure for its name. We need more original Papa Van Winkles and less Jesse James lol
  9. Juegos

That sounds like a good rule Matt. I am enjoying the bourbon right now, but I've never had Knob Creek before so I don't have a real standard to compare the Jesse James to. ;)
  10. mattavelle1

GET KNOB CREEK NOW!!!!

And your right you should try even a pint of Knob Creek just because its so great, you can really try bourbon and stand them up against it.
  11. EvilTw1n

I dunno if I'd jump straight to Knob Creek. It's high proof (the stuff laughs at ice) and pretty oak-y. To me, that's a whiskey you work up to. But it's worth it.

IMO, the best cheap bourbon you can buy is Evan Williams. I haven't bought it in awhile, but the black label variety is their standby, and you used to be able to buy that for under $20. It's even a little higher proof than normal, too.

But the best cheap whiskey I've ever gotten is Evan Williams green label. $8. It's a bourbon that is treated like a Tennessee whiskey - it's charcoal filtered. And it's really something (not quite as sweet as Jack Daniel's, but mellower than regular bourbon). For an all-around hooch, it's hard to beat. Great on its own, and mixes fantastically well.

That aside...majico, you need to try Maker's Mark. Not the 46 variety, the regular one. It's a classic. A bit higher proof, too, but it's balanced out in the flavor profile by a lack of rye in the mash (they use wheat, which is a little more gentle than rye). If it weren't 10:45 a.m., I'd be drinking Maker's right now.
  12. mattavelle1

Thoughts on that Ghost ET?

Also I've never liked Makers Mark, just something about it is sharp to me.

And on just drinking Bourbons. My favorite "cheap" Bourbon is Jim Beam 7 year. I think it's 13 bucks a fifth. And for its quality IMO it's a steal.
  13. EvilTw1n

Haven't actually tried it yet, Matt. I was saving it up for a night of watching the ever-cheesy-but-can't-look-away Ghost Adventures with the girls. ;) It may be popped open for fireworks tonight, too.

I do like regular 'ol Beam, though. It's a solid, solid drink. I've never tried the older-aged, black-label variety, though.

And our opinions on Knob Creek and Maker's Mark show just how subjective it all is. We all have our favorite drinks; it'll always come down to what you personally enjoy in your hooch. I've never been able to get into really old scotch (bought some Macallan once that tasted like medicine), or really hoppy beers (I like wheat beers and stouts). Something in the flavor of Knob Creek throws me off, the same way something in Maker's Mark does to you. It sure is fun finding those differences, though. :) One day I'm going to Kentucky for some distillery tours.
  14. mattavelle1

I haven't tried the other "labels" of Jim Beam either. I've always stuck with "if it ain't broken don't fix it" so in the Jim Beam Family the ol' 7 year, and Knob Creek are the tops. And Knob being my favorite "brown" ever.

Also from Jim Beam there small batch Bourbons collection Knob Creek is a part of this family. But I bought a 50 dollar fifth of Bookers. Knowing how much I loved Knob I just knew this also being a small batch Burbon plus the price it had to destroy Knob. Well I was wrong. It was 127 proof and it just rough, hell I enjoyed Jim Beam 7 year alot better.

Same as you Scotch man it just is way to complex for me and I don't appreciate it. I bought a bottle of Dimple on time, long story short the first drink damn near made me yak. The complexity of Scotch to me just in my pallet it taste old and stale.

Bourbon (not only being from Ky) has more flavors that my mouth appreciates.

EDIT: We love Ghost Adventures lol it's an entertaining show. Also if you make a trip and wanna hit up the Burbon distillerys hit me up and ill make a weekend of it and we will tour them together. Ill hire us a driver, but for the most part I know where there atleast te big ones are located.
  15. EvilTw1n

Oh, definitely. It'd be a weekend thing. I don't (and haven't) had the cash for a full-on vacation for awhile, but this could be more road trip-ish.

I tried some Beam Ghost in a Moscow Mule (well, really a Kentucky Mule), and it was pretty good. I put in too much lime, so I'll have to try it again. Sipped neat, it's pretty much what I bargained for - it's kind of like half way between a bourbon and a vodka. A bit too peppery in the finish for me, but that's to be expected with a younger whiskey. It's a very interesting drink.
  16. EvilTw1n

17. mattavelle1

Corona with no lime is my beer of choice. I just love the taste and smell.

Sam Adams Boston Lager, Red Stripe, Killians Irish Red, Blue Moon, Sol, Dol Secies (awful spelling). Yeah I like lagars the thickness and stoutness is what I like.

I have a friend who home brews. One of his beers is my all time favorite. It has just a small hit of bourbon, freakin amazing beer.
  18. Juegos

Oh boy.

Right now, I managed to hunt down a six of Prohibition Ale, an Amber Ale from the California-based Speakeasy brewery. I had it during a very memorable moment in my life two years ago, and hadn't been able to find it anywhere ever since. Today, my brother took me hunting for the beer in some of the better local liquor stores, and I managed o snag the last six pack available. I may not have this again in years.

It's pretty damn good, if you like your amber ales.

[​IMG]

I am also trying out the Weihenstephaner Vitus, which seems to get glowing reviews everywhere, but hasn't really blown me away at all. To me, it tastes a lot like a Hacker-Pschorr Hefe weisse, though I like the Hacker better so far. They are both extremely yeasty, though, so if you don't tolerate wheat beer it's best to look the other way.

[​IMG][​IMG]

(That girl is supposed to be holding a Hacker-Pschorr, but you don't need to know that to enjoy the picture.)

There is also an Urtypisches Schwarzbier
    awaiting judgment, so if it's remarkable I will be back to say so.

[​IMG]

That picture is of a regular pint bottle, but my schwarz is bigger than that; it's a mini keg.
  19. theMightyME

theMightyME Owner of The Total Screen

20. Juegos

The Urtypisches Schwarzbier is turning out alright, not too great for me to tell the truth.
    I forgot to mention I also had this beer called Dragon's Milk from New Holland Brewery in Michigan. I don't personally remember, but my brother says Left Hand's Milk Stout
    is very similar. At any rate, this beer is heavy as hell; at a 10.5% alcohol-by-volume, it's pretty much worth twice as much as any other beer in terms of alcohol, and you can feel it. Like many Belgian-style beers, it's probably better enjoyed with a nice dinner, but hell the thing is like a meal itself. Worth trying if only to get a feel for how powerufl beer can be, even if the flavor is not everyone's cup of tea.

[​IMG]

Anyway, in the next post I'll try to make some recommendation for Evil Mike. What have you enjoyed best so far, Mike, besides Sam Adams and Stella Artois? Great choice on the Stella, by the way; it's a great entry-level beer that remains drinkable deep into the night and even after years of first having it.
  21. EvilTw1n

It's funny you mention that super-potent stuff, because one of the favorite beers around my area bars is this. 8.3% ABV, and a favorite of one of my buddies. Flying Dog's baddest bruisers are this (9.2% ABV) and this (an absurd 11.5% ABV).

But the only Flying Dog I've tried was their hefeweizen ("In-Heat Wheat"), which was bloody awful (it was all cloying banana), so I haven't been in a rush to support my local brewery, exactly (I can say the same about Tröegs; I hated their coffee stout). But I do want to try out Gonzo.

So far, I suppose Blue Moon, Guinness and Sam Adams' Boston Lager are my favorites.

Stella is decent. I've heard it's like a less-funky version of Heineken (which makes me think that I'll really hate Heineken), and the light malt on the tail end is nice. Of course, I did just down six of them last night, so holy crap is that an easy-drinker.
  22. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

I can't recommend Innis & Gunn enough. This is a Scottish brewery that does its beers in oak barrels for other liquors. For example here's the description of the 'Original' off wikipedia:

"This is the brewery's flagship beer, which is brewed in Dunbar, East Lothian before being matured in American white oak Bourbon barrels for 30 days and then in a "marrying tun" for a further 47 days. It is 6.6% alcohol by volume."

Now if that sounds fucking fantastic, it's because it is.

Whiskey barrels are the big one they do, there's also rum barrels and annual special limited run batches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's probably the one recommendation I would really make that I know has something of an international reach.

I enjoy a number of stouts, but most of those are brewed locally around my province or in Quebec. If I want something light I try to keep this Ringwood blonde ale from a local brewer in stock (they do a decent stout as well), it's quite excellent:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A killer blonde/amber that's from a brewery in the south of my province but a couple hours out the city (worth the drive - they do some great beer all around):

[​IMG]
    In a pinch when out, a more widely available product (in my province at any rate) that's light and nice in the summer is this pilsner (rumour has it they clean their own taps when supplying bars as well - so that's a big plus), it's not a 'blow your socks off ''you must come to Canada to try this' kind of thing, but it's a quality pilsner that hits the spot:

[​IMG]

or another pilsner that's quite solid and also more widely available here:

Also...

23. mattavelle1

Oh oh oh!! I forgot but it just came to me. I LOVE Newcastle Brown Ale.

That is all
  24. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

I have to try this Dragon's Milk of which you speak. It is now officially a quest.
  25. Juegos

Newcastle is pretty nice, but I've become unable to drink it a lot in a single night. I think it's because I took a mini keg of that to my first Bonnaroo, and somehow drank my life quota that weekend. Same with Fat Tire, Shift, and others from New Belgium brewery; I drank so much at Bonnaroo last year that now I can't appreciate them anymore.
    Anyway, going by what you've said so far Mike, I think we may be able to deduce that you don't like wheat beers. If you try some other not-so-banana-ish wheat beer at some point and you don't like it, then that should settle the deal. That means, no hefeweizens and other kinds of weissbier, as they often are labeled.
    If you liked that Belgian style IPA from Flying Dog, then you are actually in luck because IPAs are some of the most popular and varied beers around, as far as I know. You can go on for years simply trying out new IPAs and not worrying at all about any other beers. Try other belgian-style IPAs, and try a double IPA, and pretty much any other name that has "IPA" in it. You might also want to try an amber ale, if you see any around, as they are a bit close to IPAs but less bitter, if that's a problem for you (I definitely have a problem with the bitterness of many IPAs).
    Repo recommended a blonde ale, and I agree that pretty much everyone has to give blonde ales a chance at some point. I don't believe they are wheaty, and if they are, you can barely tell. Otherwise, they are very crisp and clear, and in my opinion they are amazingly well carbonated.
  26. EvilTw1n

Ah, but the thing is...I do like wheat beers. Blue Moon is a wheat. Sam Adams has a cherry wheat (completely different) that I like. I've tried Breckenridge's Agave Wheat, and it's pretty good. All of my friends dig those IPAs...but I've not found them to be all that, tbh. I don't want to say "too hoppy," but they haven't been my bag. Wheats, stouts and non-weakling lagers seem to do OK with me.

But I did pull the trigger on that Flying Dog Gonzo last night. A bruiser of a porter, that one. We'll see how that works out...

Apparently I'm gonna have to try Newcastle next, as everyone seems to dig it.
  27. Juegos

Hmm, so you like wheat beers, but not hefeweizens. That's unfortunate, I find them glorious. But you're right, there are a lot of other wheat beers to try. And for what it's worth, you could try a dark hefe-weisse, like a Franciskaner Dunkel, which to me is among the best beer I've ever had.
    [​IMG]
    I have a friend who find most beer either "too hoppy" or "too bitter", and Franziskaner Dunkel convinced him that good beer exists.
  28. EvilTw1n

^
    Damn, I want that. It's on the list, for future imbibing.

For now...this week has been way too long, and it's only gonna get worse tomorrow. But for tonight, I have a bottle of Gonzo popped open and...well, Flying Dog did this one right. It's a porter that'll give any stout a run for its money (some definite espresso notes, but way better than Tröegs' coffee stout, which just was too much of just about everything).

As a Guinness lover, I'd consider Gonzo as a replacement...were it not so effin' potent. The ABV is just too high to be an easy drinker, and makes the beer too stringent (whereas Guinness has that lovely creaminess). But it's still good.
  29. Juegos

I love porters more than stouts, as far as I know. I don't think I've ever found stuff from Flying Dog brewery down in Texas (unlike here in the Midwest, where I see the stuff everywhere), but if I ever catch some, I'll definitely look for that imperial porter.
  30. Majorbuddah

Majorbuddah My real name is Dolemite

OOH! a proper beer thread :D
    i think american beers have really overtaken european brews over the last 5-10 years. our craft brewing scene has just exploded in popularity.
    these are my favorite breweries. you really can't go wrong buying any beer with one of these logos on them:
    [​IMG] (the "oberon ale" and "kalamazoo stout" are stand outs. but every bell's beer i've had has been decent)
    [​IMG] (the "60 minute IPA" is a fantastic session beer, and the "120 minute IPA" is impossible to find, but one of the best DIPA's i've ever had)
    [​IMG] (although these guys have a ton of logos. just remember 3 floyds. their "gumball head" is hands down my favorite session beer, and their "dreadnaught IPA" is regarded by many as one of the best beers out right now. i could go on for a while about these guys. they are my favorite brewery.)
    [​IMG] (you can find this stuff anywhere as it's probably the country's most widely distributed craft beer. check out their "pale ale", or the "torpedo" if you dig IPA's)
    [​IMG] (great stuff. check out their beer called "little sumpin sumpin". it's a lot like the aforementioned "gumball head" by 3 floyds.)
    [​IMG] (their "dead guy" brew is to fucking die for, and they have another called "chipotle ale" which is probably the most uniquely delicious beer i've ever had)
    [​IMG] (the "daisy cutter" and "gossemer" are awesome brews. their also one of the few craft breweries that use cans instead of bottles. still tastes amazing.)
    i know a lot of these beers can only be found in the mid-west, but if you guys are interested in any kind of beer exchange i'd be more than happy to work something out. there are a lot of beers i've been meaning to try that you just can't get out here in chicagoland.
    also, here's a FANTASTIC youtube channel for beer reviews (this guy is spot on with just about every beer i've tried that he's reviewed) and just learning about craft beers in general: https://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
  31. Majorbuddah

[​IMG]
    just sayin'
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  32. EvilTw1n

Damn, buddha. I have a lot of work to do! I've heard good things about Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head before, but I just haven't gotten around to them. For Dogfish, I'm not a big IPA fan, so I'll have to see what else they have.

I did just make a discovery with Flying Dog's Gonzo - this beer is all wrong. For anything that isn't a light-ish lager, I've always been told you have to serve it in a glass. "Boston Lager or better" is a common rule I've heard. So for porters and stouts, I've always drank them from a good glass. I didn't really LOVE Guinness until I did so, and it didn't really grow on me until I let it warm up just a tad, too.

Gonzo is not that great in a glass. It's not that good when you drink it cool-ish. But it's absolutely delicious when you drink it fridge-cold, out of a bottle.
  33. EvilTw1n

Just picked up some Newcastle.

Absolutely fantastic. After that porter, I wanted a lighter, more refreshing beer. But not Stella-type light. Newcastle is that perfect middle ground. Really drinkable, but it still has flavor (semi-sweet and malty up front, slightly nutty and toasty on the end...biscuit flavor, also?). Really clean finish, too. Maybe a touch watery, but good. I know some people (OK, beer snobs) want their beer to linger and be really heavy, but right now I'm feeling this. This is sort of like Guinness - a really drinkable version of the style it's representing. This is on the favorites list.

Cool looking bottle, too.

EDIT: Read a few reviews of the beer online. They have proven to me that...you can't trust reviews online. I saw more than a few cry "skunk!" These dudes have never tasted skunky beer, I guess (or insist on putting up a review when they can tell that they've gotten a bad six pack).

I swore I was going to only drink one of these tonight. Damnit. Nevermind.
  34. TheAmazingLSB

TheAmazingLSB PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

Newcastle is the shit.... B-)
  35. cbthedog

cbthedog New Member

Gin>all imo
  36. EvilTw1n

^
    I've an appreciation for gin, too. Mostly as a mixer, but a good G&T is hard to top.

[The last time I had a good G&T, it was at my buddy's birthday last year. It's one of the only times I can remember losing count of how much I drank. After about the seventh gin and tonic, I just gave up.]
  37. EvilTw1n

Well, was at a sort of musician's lawn party yesterday, and ran into the drummer I first played with (it had been 14 years!), who had some Yuengling. I've never had any before, but this was their Light, so I was a little wary. I had some, anyways (as we were the only two yankees at this very southern gathering, I thought I'd best partake in the Pennsylvanian beer). Unexpectedly good.

My local beer mart carries Yuengling Black & Tan. Think I'll finally have to get some tonight.
  38. EvilTw1n

^
    =P~

I've been drinking too much beer lately. I need to get back to my whiskey cabinet.
  39. Majorbuddah

ah man, IPAs are where it's at. it's an acquired taste for sure, but every serious beer enthusiast has an appreciation for the style. i'd start out finding some nice pilsners (pilsner urquell or sam adam's noble pils would be a good place to start), then work up to pale ales (sierra nevada's pale ale is fantastic) and then get up to IPAs. they can be challenging beers (120 minute is insane, but amazing), but they really are the most intense and flavorful brews you can get IMO.
    stay away from flying dog - that stuff sucks.
  40. Majorbuddah

Well, was at a sort of musician's lawn party yesterday, and ran into the drummer I first played with (it had been 14 years!), who had some Yuengling. I've never had any before, but this was their Light, so I was a little wary. I had some, anyways (as we were the only two yankees at this very southern gathering, I thought I'd best partake in the Pennsylvanian beer). Unexpectedly good.

My local beer mart carries Yuengling Black & Tan.
    Think I'll finally have to get some tonight.

you can really only get a black and tan at a bar.. guinness and bass.
  41. EvilTw1n

It's my local brewery, so I wanted to give 'em a shot. I just haven't thought much of their beer.

I think IPAs are going to be the beer equivalent of old scotch for me. No matter what, old Macallan just tastes too medicinal to me. Really bitter hops don't do anything for me, either.

[Yuengling's B&T is a mixture, so I know it's not a true B&T. It's also pretty meh. Not bad, but I was expecting more. Maybe their regular porter has more balls.]
  42. Majorbuddah

yeah i get flying dog by me too. it's pretty widely distributed afaik. i've tried a number of their brews and they've left a bad impression every time. dogfish head and southern tier are some good east coast breweries that i'd recommend for ya.
    i love strong, hoppy beers, but yeah to each his own. quality ipa's are not for beginner beer drinkers (assuming you're jsut recently getting into craft beers). once you develop a taste for it, i'd describle a lot of IPA's as having a strong citrus/grapefruit taste. you can also pick up some sweeter notes like peach and apricot. my favorite ipa (dipa, really) is the 120 minute by dogfish head, and i swear it tastes like peanutbutter and jelly to me. i had a friend who only liked to drink porters and stouts, and absolutely hated ipas. he's learned to love em now though and that's all he drinks now. he's actually brewing a citra hop ipa today that should be ready in october.
  43. Majorbuddah

[​IMG]
    enjoyed this guy the other night. such a great and unique brew. i think i'm gonna grab another one tonight.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  44. Juegos

I've seen that one a few times, but never had the courage to get it. What about the doughnut one?
    [​IMG]
    Or the other that looks a lot like it and has some bacon flavor or something? The first one sounds great, but the latter one worries me. Have you had any of those?
  45. Majorbuddah

The doughnut one is a god damn disaster haha.

The chipotle though... It's so good. Drink it ice cold with a good steak or a burrito or something. You wont regret it.
  46. Majorbuddah

47. Majorbuddah

48. Juegos

Dammit, that's the one I was counting on being amazing. I still gotta try it for myself.
    I'll keep the Chipotle one in mind.
  49. Majorbuddah

it's a fun novelty beer, but it's definitely not "good". the other one you're thinking of is bacon maple, and it's pretty bad too.
  50. Majorbuddah

my favorite rogue beers besides their chipotle ale are the dead guy, double dead guy and chocolate stout. the chocolate stout and double dead guy are hard to find, but the regular dead guy is widely distributed and it's a fantastic bottle. it's pretty affordable too at around 7-8 bucks for a sixer.