Best Albums of 2016

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by Wolven, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Wolven

Wolven The Wolf of TNE Street

Last year brought some great things when it came to music. Same rules apply as last year, post your favorite albums of the year thus far! Even though we are only a few months in, there are some great things to pick from. Here are mine:

Blackstar - David Bowie
    [​IMG]
    Leaving behind his rock roots, this swan song to Bowie is a beautiful jazz masterpiece, and a fitting farewell to the artist.

The Life of Pablo - Kanye West
    [​IMG]
    Each Kanye album is wildly different (look at his last three albums), and this one is no exception. This has been the highlight of the year for me. Yeah, you can poke fun at the fact that this is probably the first album that needs to get "patched", but its still an amazing album and worthy of your time.

untitled unmastered - Kendrick Lamar
    [​IMG]
    This album is a collection of outtakes from To Pimp a Butterfly and studio recordings of the Untitled trakcs that Kendrick has been performing at talk shows. This album is easier on the ears than To Pimp a Butterfly, and I still vastly prefer To Pimp a Butterfly, but hey, who can say no to more Kendrick.

Malibu - Anderson .Paak
    [​IMG]
    If you liked old school R&B. here is an album that completely embraces it. .Paak's sophomore album might be his potential commercial breakthrough, and with reason too. This album is the only other album that has caught my attention so far.

The year has barely started, but there are some more albums that are on my radar this year. We are expected to have a new Radiohead and Gorillaz album this year, plus we are also expecting a collab between Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole, which is bound to be amazing.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 3
  2. Juegos

Juegos All mods go to heaven. Staff Member Moderator

Awesome, thanks for making this. I'll come back to contribute.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TheAmazingLSB

TheAmazingLSB PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

For those who enjoy the old way of doing rock and metal.

This album hit the Amazon top 20.

It's a true metal album from the 80's Dio band. Sounds like 80's true metal and Dio sound.

It's a refreshing album for those like me who can't stand those youngsters doing this rubbish metal of nowadays nor alternative metal.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Crown-DVD-Deluxe-Edition/dp/B018B4F9DO

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wolven

Man.... we are sort of due for a new Janelle Monae album by now huh? I can't wait to hear the finale to her Metropolis series. The Electric Lady and The ArchAndroid are definitely amazing R&B albums. And I might be the only one excited for this, but I am seriously looking forward to the new Beyonce album.
  6. Wolven

And I know this doesn't deserve to be on here, but I already have a disappointment of the year. After The Heist, I was really expecting a lot more from Macklemore's follow up. You know, less Thrift-Shop style songs and more A Wake/Neon Cathedral/Starting Over style songs. Macklemore is at his best when rapping about stuff like that, but this album? The only decent song was White Privilege II, and even that had a weird line in there. Light Tunnels was OK, catchy but gets old quickly. Kevin was OK too, but the message is confusing. The rest were extremely mediocre, or not even good. Even the songs that had a "message" to it turned out bad (Growing Up), it had a whole bunch of cringey, Thrift-Shop style songs(Brad Pitt's Ugly Cousin, Buckshot, 75% of the album).
    It had so much potential too, the reveal "trailer" got me hyped up for it. I heard Kevin, thought it was a good start, heard Downtown, hey! That's not such a bad anthem-style-party song. Heard White Privilege II WOW, shots fired, I love this song except for that one line. I was super hyped for it. The title: "This Unruly Mess I've Made", the cover art (for those who don't know it is a hand holding a little lighter), and the track titles all looked super interesting (Considering Macklemore's record, I can't be to blame for thinking that Brad Pitt's Cousin was a song about hollywood corruption, right?). Plus, some songs even featured XP, Anderson .paak, and heck even Chance the Rapper... yeah heavily disappointed with this album. Hopefully he takes this negativity and weeds it out for his next album, 4 years from now....
    /rant
    I will give it one more shot.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  7. Wolven

SEPT 5 by dvsn is really good, probably one of the better R&B records that are going to come out this year.
  8. Juegos

I have been out of the loop when it comes to music. I need to set aside a night sometime to just listen to all the stuff that has been coming out.
  9. theMightyME

theMightyME Owner of The Total Screen

not much has blown me away in 2016

so far Id say Phenotype by Textures is my top pick

this isn't like last year when we had faith no more and failure both dropping long awaited albumns
  10. thekiller7

thekiller7 The Seven and Only

New Radiohead will be Album of the year.
    No doubt.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wolven

A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
    [​IMG]

LEMONADE - Beyonce
    [​IMG]

The Colour in Anything - James Blake
    [​IMG]

These three albums have are all superb. My favorite out of these is by far the new Radiohead solely for Daydreaming. Beyonce is a close second and James Blake is a close third. I got this other album today that I am still working my way through, but I am not sure if I should put it on here, its good but I don't know if its that good. Also, seriously can't wait for Chance's new mixtape.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Juegos

I'm ordering the Radiohead album already, but there's a new James Blake as well?! So hyped for it now, thanks for bringing it up.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BobSilencieux

BobSilencieux Well-Known Member

Lucius - Good Grief

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wolven

Coloring Book - Chance the Rapper
    [​IMG]
    2016 is slowly picking up steam. Even though I'm not a big fan of gospel, I am pretty in love with this thus far.
  15. Wolven

I'm giving this a shot right now, I am enjoying it thus far. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this band before. Its right up my alley.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Juegos

I've been listening to James Blake's The Colour In Anything. It's really damn good. It's still James Blake, though, which I think is sort of "love it or hate it". Personally I really hope I can catch him live soon. I saw him live after his second album, and it was amazing. I can only imagine how much better his show would be now.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wolven

I still haven't been to a single concert ever. I am anxiously waiting for someone that I like to come near me.
  18. Juegos

Save up and go to a music festival (preferably with some friends or family). It's the best bang for your buck, on top of just being a great experience. I've been to Bonnaroo 4 times, and to ACL once, and it's all been really great. I was sad that I wasn't going to go to Bonnaroo this year, but then the ACL lineup came up, and it's insane, so now I hope to go there instead this year.
    http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup/
    • Like Like x 1
  19. EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n Even my henchmen think I'm crazy. Staff Member Moderator

I know this won't be up many people's alleys here on the forum, but Neko Case, K.D. Lang, and Laura Veirs have an album coming out (case/lang/veirs). And so far, I like what I'm hearing. It's all pretty slow burn; it's short on propulsive tunes. It's a sort of alt-country/noir sort of thing intertwined with harmonies that do the "wall of sound" thing - all of the swirl of the Beach Boys, but none of the stylistic cues.

20. simplyTravis

simplyTravis "A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

I'm looking forward to the new Blink 182 album with the new addition of Matt Skiba:

Skiba 182
    Right now I haven't found much good in 2016 for my discerning tastes. I'm a fan of Lumineers but nothing in their new release Cleopatra is really grasping me like their first album. I almost feel like it is too technically proficient and doesn't take as many risks. Its great to listen to in the background when chilling or making artwork but otherwise its not an active listening album for me.

Hopefully 2016 will be good though. I'll make sure to pop in when I find something I like! Great idea for a thread @Wolven
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Wolven

Gorillaz is rumoured to have David Bowie and Vic Mensa on their new album.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. thekiller7

thekiller7 The Seven and Only

That new David Bowie album is fucking phenomenal.

The new Scattle album Dreams is good.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1
  23. Wolven

So Gorillaz album isn't releasing until next year.

I gotta say that that kinda bums me out. There's nothing that I'm looking forward to for the rest of this year except for maybe the Blank Face LP by Schoolboy Q.
  24. Wolven

Freetown Sound - Blood Orange
    [​IMG]
    Surprise album of the year for me. It has quickly overtaken every album that I have listened to this year. By far my favorite thus far.

Also, super hyped for Frank Ocean. Hopefully something comes out of his teasing. Channel Orange was brilliant.
  25. Wolven

HEAVN - Jamila Woods
    [​IMG]

Dangerous Woman - Ariana Grande
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  26. Superfakerbros

Superfakerbros ECE 2018 Staff Member Moderator

We all know the REAL reason why you "listened" to the second one ;)
    • LOL LOL x 1
  27. Wolven

Boys Don't Cry is supposed to come out in 2 days. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Frank Ocean is great.
  28. Wolven

Alright so new update:

For All We Know - NAO
    [​IMG]

And of course Endless by Frank Ocean, which we do not have a cover for yet. Its supposed to be the prelude to his actual album, Boys Don't Cry, which is supposed to drop this weekend? I don't believe it. But Endless is fantastic. Not as memorable as Channel Orange, but its a great start imo.

Also, there's supposedly a new A Tribe Called Quest album dropping soon..... recorded before Phife's death.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Wolven

Endless better be included in the actual Boys Don't Cry, I can't watch the visual to enjoy the music. The music on Endless is amazing and I would love to have it on my phone.
  30. Wolven

[​IMG]

Still making my way through it but goddamn. Frank Ocean changed the name from Boys Don't Cry to Blonde and its fantastic. Endless is not included in it but this thing can stand on its own. So far, I'm roughly halfway through it, its beautiful and different enough from Channel Orange to stand on its own.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Wolven

Right now, I have a rough list set out for my favorite albums of the year. Like I know which are head and shoulders above the rest for me, aka the handful of albums I remember by this time.

Blonde

Lemonade

The Life of Pablo

Freetown Sound

Coloring Book

A Moon Shaped Pool

I definitely like Blonde the best out of the whole bunch. AMSP is probably second, and Freetown Sound is probably third, but its too early for me to make up my mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Wolven

Travis Scott's new album is coming out tomorrow only on Apple Music. I still have to check out Rodeo, since it is supposed to be excellent.

Also, I took off the Ariana Grande album after the shit tier performance at the VMAs.

And I'm digging the Emotion B-Sides by Carly Rae Jepsen and No My Name is Jeffery by Young Thug.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Wolven

Gorillaz is teasing on Twitter and I think something by Run The Jewels is coming out this year. I'm excited. PLUS, new single produced by Daft Punk! Its called Starboy, and I really really like it.
  34. Wolven

[​IMG]
    A Seat at the Table - Solange

[​IMG]
    22, A Million - Bon Iver

Both of these are pretty good. 22, A Million is incredible, the first half was an amazing first listen but the second half has yet to grow on me. Solange's album is also pretty damn good, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Not the best album this year, but at the very least it is near Lemonade levels for me.
  35. Shoulder

Shoulder Your Resident Beardy Bear

So this Album came out a few days ago, and as a big fan of the stuff from Imperativa Records (Globus, and Immediate are the two main groups you've probably heard from them). This Cello album sounds good if this song is any indication.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Cello, especially when used in this fashion.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Wolven

[​IMG]
    We got it from here... Thank you 4 your service - A Tribe called Quest
    Only on my first listen thus far but goddamn god bless ATCQ. This is great.
    Also a new Childish Gambino single dropped today. Very different sound, more rock than anything else. It is called Me and Your Mama. His new album is coming out on December 2nd.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Wolven

Alright, the year is almost over, we should have a sort of vote for which are the top 10 best albums of 2016. I will put out my list in the post after this. Just do it basic format and hopefully some of the top 10s have some similarities. I realize TNE has very varied tastes, and it is very likely that each one of us are going to have completely different lists, but this is still worth a shot. I'd like to have a more vibrant music community where we can all share our tastes.
  38. Wolven

1. Blonde - Frank Ocean
    2. Blackstar - David Bowie
    3. The Life of Pablo - Kanye West
    4. A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
    5. 22, A Million - Bon Iver
    6. Thank You 4 Your Service - A Tribe Called Quest
    7. Freetown Sound - Blood Orange
    8. Coloring Book - Chance the Rapper
    9. Atrocity Exhibition - Danny Brown
    10. The Hamilton Mixtape - Multiple Artists
  39. theMightyME

theMightyME Owner of The Total Screen

Nine Inch Nails is dropping a new EP tomorrow
    • Like Like x 1
  40. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure close to the beginning of the year Dr. Dre Compton album dropped and it was / is killer
  41. Wolven

I believe it dropped today already. Haven't been able to give it a fair shake, but we are also expecting a complete new album from them next year.
  42. Wolven

The Compton album actually dropped August of 2015! and yeah you're right that album was the shit, I love it. However, there are a shit ton of great rap albums this year. The A Tribe Called Quest album was especially good. Hip hop had a good year this year, TDE was on a roll. Seriously, check out:
    [​IMG]
    The Sun's Tirade by Isaiah Rashad

[​IMG]
    Blank Face by ScHoolboy Q

[​IMG]
    Do What Thou Wilt by Ab Soul (Ab Soul's discography is highly recommended in general).

Out of all these, the most similar to Compton would be ScHoolboy Q. YG's new album, Still Brazy, was also pretty good and noteworthy, and also similar to the gangsta rap of the 90s. All of the above came out this year. If you're looking for something more experimental check out Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown. I would also recommend for you to keep your eyes on RTJ 3 coming out next year. Its heavy political going by the few released singles, but its looking really fucking good. I'm still reeling from how much good music came out.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1