ASuch's quest to become more cultured in music -- starting with 221 artists and bands.

Discussion in 'Community Hang-Out' started by ASuch, Jun 4, 2016.

1. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

So, since I'm going off to college soon, and I'll need something to do when I'm not studying...I've decided that I want to really explore music. I do like a lot of music, but I haven't listened to enough, I feel, so I want to slowly start now. I've made a list of over 221 artists that I decided I should listen to.

Now, what does that mean? For many, that means I'm going to try to listen to all of their main albums. For some, that won't be possible because of how hard to find some are, while for others, I'll get sick of them/I'll get to their universally panned and criticized albums and stop there, or skip around. But for most, I will try to listen to all of their main albums. No live versions or deluxe editions unless I REALLY like their stuff.

For example, if I was doing Radiohead, I would NOT be going through all of their EPs along with their full albums, it would just be Pablo-Bends-OKC-Kid A, etc.,.. though Radiohead's b-sides do have a part in my list just because of how much I love the band. But for most groups, I will just be going through their main albums. I won't be listening to every single member of the Wu-Tang Clan's solo work either. Some of it will be on a case-by-case basis...

How did I choose my list? Mostly just randomly finding them and saying "You know what I'll just add them to the list". Some I might not get far in, because they were really just one-hit wonders and the rest of the work isn't too great. Some choices will be weird, some will be pretty typical...it's likely that I don't have some important group or artist -- if you guys have suggestions of other stuff to listen to, I'll think about adding it, but if it was some legendary artist its possible that it just didn't really interest me -- if you're a 50's stan you'll probably be shocked at how many people from the 50's I just omit. I might get to people like Chuck Berry later, but I focused more on 60's to now.

When I finish an artist or band I'll make a writeup about what I thought about their work. Some might be long some might be short depending on how interesting it was, we'll just see what happens.

Now, then, here is the preliminary list I've created, alphabetical. I'll get someone to strike-through artists I've deemed finished. I don't know how long this is going to take, but I might as well start!

50 cent
    aaliyah
    abba
    acdc
    ace of base
    aerosmith
    alan parsons project
    alanis morissette
    alice coooper, probably live
    alice in chains
    alicia keys
    amy winehouse
    arcade fire
    arctic monkeys
    arethra franklin
    avenged sevenfold
    bad company
    bb king
    beach boys
    beatles
    beck
    beyonce
    billy joel
    billy squier
    black keys
    black sabbath
    blink-182
    bloc party
    blondie
    bloody valentine
    blue oyster cult
    blur
    bob dylan
    bob marley
    bon iver
    boston
    britney spears
    bruno mars
    buffalo springfield
    byrds
    cake
    chicago
    christina aguilera
    ciara
    coldplay
    cranberries
    cream
    dave matthews band
    david bowie
    death grips
    def leppard
    depeche mode
    destiny's child
    diana ross
    dio
    dire straits
    dmx
    dolly parton
    doors
    dr. dre
    dream theater
    duran duran
    eagles
    ella fitzgerald
    elo
    elton john
    elvis presley
    eminem
    eric clapton
    extreme
    fatboy slim
    fergie
    fleetwood mac
    foo fighters
    foreigner
    frank sinatra
    franz ferdinand
    fugees
    gloria gaynor
    gnarls barkley
    go gos
    golden earring
    gorillaz
    green day
    guns n roses
    hall and oates
    heart
    iggy pop
    incubus
    interpol
    iron maiden
    james blake
    james brown
    janis joplin
    jay-z
    jethro tull
    jewel
    jimi hendrix
    jimmy eat world
    john coltrane
    joni mitchell
    justin timberlake
    kansas
    kanye west
    katy perry
    kendrick lamar
    king crimson
    kiss
    lady gaga
    lauyrn hill
    led zeppelin
    lovin spoonful
    lynyrd skynyrd
    madonna
    mariah carey
    maroon 5
    marvin gaye
    metallica
    michael jackson
    missy elliot
    moody blues
    motorhead
    muse
    my chemical romance
    nancy sinatra
    nas
    neil young
    nelly
    nelly furtado
    neyo
    night ranger
    nine inch nails
    nirvana
    notorious big
    nwa
    oasis
    offspring
    ok go
    outkast
    patti smith
    pearl jam
    phil collins
    pink floyd
    pixies
    prince
    puff daddy
    queen
    queens of the stone age
    radiohead b-sides
    rage against the machine
    rakim
    ray charles
    red hot chili peppers
    rem
    rihanna
    roberta flack
    rolling stones
    ronettes
    run dmc
    rush
    satriani
    scandal/patty smyth
    semisonic
    sex pistols
    shakira
    simon/garfunkel
    smashing pumpkins
    smiths
    snoop dogg
    snow patrol
    sonic youth
    soundgarden
    spoon
    springsteen
    steppenwolf
    stevie ray vaughn
    stevie wonder
    stone roses
    sublime
    supertramp
    system of a down
    system of a down
    talking heads
    taylor swift
    tears for fears
    temptations
    tesla
    the cars
    the clash
    the cure
    the hollies
    the jets
    the killers
    the kinks
    the police
    the strokes
    the verve
    the who
    third-eye blind
    tina turner
    tlc
    tom petty
    toni morrison
    tool
    traveling wilburys
    tribe called quest
    tupac
    u2
    usher
    vampire weekend
    van halen
    van morrison
    velvet revolver
    velvet underground
    white stripes
    whitney houston
    wu tang members' solo work
    wu-tang
    wyclef jean
    yardbirds
    yes

There are probably a lot of legendary albums that won't pop up in this list either...I'll see that those also get finished, but I'm going to focus on artists first, unless something really grabs my attention.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. FriedShoes

FriedShoes MLG Staff Member Moderator

You have System of Down here twice. Freudian slip?

Oh wait thats downs syndrome. Dammit, joke lost
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

haha what dupe that isn't there haha lol
  4. thekiller7

thekiller7 The Seven and Only

Needs The Mars Volta
    [​IMG]
  5. Wolven

Wolven The Wolf of TNE Street

Don't uhh burn yourself out on that. Just listen to what you like and don't force yourself. Also, out of that list here is what I recommend:

Beyonce (Self-titled and Lemonade)
    Bon Iver (Bon Iver Bon Iver)
    Bob Marley (Legend)
    David Bowie (Space Oddity, Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Blackstar, Diamond Dogs)
    Dr. Dre (The Chronic)
    Eminem (Slim Shady LP, Marshal Mathers LP, The Eminem Show)
    The Fugees (The Score)
    Gorillaz (Gorillaz, Demon Days, Plastic Beach)
    James Blake (James Blake, The Colour in Anything)
    Jay-Z (The Black Album)
    Kanye West (His whole discography please. Its all great, but if you have to listen to three listen to Graduation, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and Yeezus. But all of it is fucking great, only picked those three because those showcase his multiple styles the best.)
    Kendrick Lamar (good kid m.a.a.d city, To Pimp a Butterfly)
    Michael Jackson (Thriller, Bad)
    Nas (Illmatic)
    Nirvana (Nevermind)
    Biggie (Born to Die)
    NWA (Straight Outta Compton)
    Pink Floyd (The Dark Side of the Moon)
    Puff Daddy (Last Train To Paris)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (Californication)
    Tupac (2Pacalypse Now, Me Against the World, All Eyez on Me)
    Wu-Tang Clan (Enter the Wu-Tang)
    I only picked the ones that I think are musts. But from the little I know from your tastes, I'm not sure if you are going to like half the artists that you have listed on there. I haven't listened to a lot of the guys you have on there though. I'm not telling you to listen to all of these bands, but if you want a place to start on any of them start here. For you I really recommend checking out James Blake and Gorillaz first, go through both's discographies. They are both great (granted, I haven't listened to The Fall by Gorillaz or Overgrowth by James Blake). I feel like you're gonna like them.

@ASuch
  6. mattavelle1

mattavelle1 ARMS is like breathing.......but more important Staff Member Moderator

During my high school years I was living up the golden age of rap, but missed the golden age of alternative.

A band I think you need to dig into is Red Hot Chili Peppers to start off with

This one is a personal favorite. And this whole album is stick it in and let it ride worthy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

Ambitious. What's your objective?

Becoming "more cultured" could mean expanding your taste, or your knowledge of the history of modern music. If you're looking for the latter, I'd recommend the radio series "The Ongoing History of New Music".

It's a fairly comprehensive list. Off the top of my head, the Ramones were incredibly important in modern rock, but I think you could get the gist from the first album (only takes ~15 minutes to listen to), and the 1978 "I Wanna be Sedated" music video.
  8. FriedShoes

The Fall is pretty great.

Del the Funkee Homosapien/Deltron 3030 is missing I noticed.
    He's The Rocks cousin Ice Cube's nephew.
  9. theMightyME

theMightyME Owner of The Total Screen

you should cut off most of the pop (empty calories) like Brittney Spears... Christina Agulara actually has a few things worth keeping her on the list if you want it broad (though I would pass on her too)

50 Cent is also empty calories you should weed out that crap

and you could do with a few lesser known bands.... maybe Failure

plus no faith no more is a huge failing

plus I don't really see much metal on there... and that is one of the most cretively diverse genres right now

at the very least I would add Opeth and Meshuggah

Opeth for their genre blending, and Meshuggah for their mathematical song writing

I would push you even more towards metal, but I know it isn't for everyone

Meshuggah and Opeth are necessary, however, if you want any cred

so some stuff that I mentioned

Failure

Faith no More

Opeth

Meshuggah
  10. FriedShoes

Stopped reading here and OP should too.
  11. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

Just to listen to new shit! With how ubiquitous music streaming is now, among other things, doing something like this is going to be way easier, and since I have access to so much I might as well take advantage of it.

Metal isn't really my thing, minus that weird kind of epic metal, sort of like Highlander by Lost Horizon. Either way, most metal really isn't my thing. And I legitimately enjoy somewhat trashy pop like Spears or trashy 2000's dance music.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Wolven

Wolven The Wolf of TNE Street

I really think you should check out CHVRCHES, Grimes, Tame Impala and Miguel. Tame Impala is the weird epic sound (Haven't heard Highlander so I am just throwing that out there hoping you like it), Grimes and CHVRCHES are really good pop, and Miguel is Pop/R&B. Wildheart and Kaleidoscope Dream are legitimately great.

Edit: Honestly, there is so much good music out there that I want to recommend for you right now. And that list you have up there is pretty great too, but you're missing out on a lot. Recent music especially, for all the shit that it gets it has been pretty great recently. Tons of great, new artists that aren't part of the "old guard" and are building their own styles. I don't care what people say, music today is legitimately great.
  13. theMightyME

theMightyME Owner of The Total Screen

that's fine... but what about faith no more, and failure, those are both rock bands
  14. repomech

repomech resident remnant robot relic

@ASuch Nice. Well, you've got one hell of a journey in front of you, and that's a great list. Off the top of my head there's some big ticket names that would fit very well on that list that I've included below (many of which bring something different to the table from what you have). That said, it's probably just as well you get going on what you've set out and if there's certain bands or artists that really float your boat, let us know. Some of us might be able to show you similar bands/artists or even lead you down a few rabbit holes (you've got a lot of my favourite bands up there) - but I think you're right to go for big picture coverage with a diversity of sound to start.

A quick tip on Iggy Pop: start with his first band, The Stooges (sometimes called "Iggy and the Stooges"). Very important band and brings something different and great to the table in terms of sound.

- Deep Purple
    - Genesis (the band Phil Collins came from)
    - Peter Gabriel (also from Genesis - the original singer, went on to have an impressive and important solo career)
    - Eurythmics
    - The Ramones
    - Joy Division
    - Judas Priest
    - Jefferson Airplane
    - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    - Johnny Cash
    - The Specials
    - The Flaming Lips
    - Blondie
    - Grateful Dead

If you wanted to explore a bit more of the diversity and big name history of "Alternative" you could take a look at Jane's Addiction, Pixies, Husker Du, Violent Femmes, Pere Ubu and Ministry.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  15. Odo

Odo Well-Known Member

Ozzy - I'd add him. He's sometimes metal and sometimes rock, but he has good stuff that you should know about.
    Deep Purple - @ASuch listed that too

Johnny Cash - @ASuch listed that too

Judas Priest - Judas is a great band that started as 70's hard rock and moved to metal, so you can listen to the first 6 albums and forget the rest if you're not into Metal. They're metal gods.

Dio - I saw you put Dio there, he's another metal god so you might end up not liking him, but the first 3 albums are extraordinary. High quality rock/metal.

Britney Spears - I agree with @theMightyME here. It's not that it's bad, you decide it, but artists like Britney Spears are more slebs than musicians. They usually just sing everything their producers give them to sing. I'd add here Nancy Sinatra, 50's cent, Christina aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry. Of course, that's your call to judge.

Elvis Presley - 50's rockabilly: Elvis Presley, Elvis, Elvis' Christmas, For LP Fans Only, King Creole - 60's rock: Elvis is Back, Pot Luck - Gospel: His Hand in Mine - Country: From Elvis in Memphis, Elvis Country, Elvis Now, Elvis, Raised on Rock, Good Times, From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee - Live: Madison Square Garden, Aloha from Hawaii.

Elvis and Frank Sinatra were the first big world sleb singers and many things you see in the industry comes from them, so knowing Elvis Presley is a good step to understand 20th century pop/rock music. But his discography is enormous and he had to record a lot of rubbish for money and many lists out there about his discography are misguided.
    Almost everything he recorded in the 50's are great, mainly first, second and third albums. He's Christmas Album (a gone tradition in the industry) is among the best Christmas album of all time.
    Many of his 60's albums are very bad, because they're rubbish Hollywood productions to make money and to make him an actor, but some of the first ones like Elvis is Back and Pot Luck are very good, he really put his soul on those albums and they represent some of the best listening of soft rock of the early 60's. He's first gospel album in the 60's is brilliant too. Not every Hollywood albums are entirely bad, but I think you should only listen to King Creole, this one is very good.
    After 1967 Elvis moves from Rock to Nashville's country music. So it's a totally different artist after that. Almost everything from 68 and 69 is spectacular. In the 70's, not everything. Elvis always recorded live, always, no studio tricks. So he used to record a lot of songs, produce them and give to RCA. RCA just picked the best of the session and put on a disc and the rest of them put on another disc. So you find great albums like Elvis' Country and not so good like Love Letters in the same year. So, Elvis' Country is excellent, top 10 on the country lists on that time; Elvis Now and Elvis are good too. Raised on Rock and Good Times and then he started to be get really ill. After that you have sick Elvis on "From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee" he records it live in his house. Great album, but too moody. They're moody country songs and deep souls songs for people waiting to die.
    Live material, if you want to get a very good sample of everything, you just need to watch Aloha from Haway and listen to Madison Square Garden. After that he's too sick and sad.

The same for Frank Sinatra, he's the face of the high quality standards of the industry in the old days. It'd be good if you find someone to let you know his must listen albums.

Jazz - You also need to find someone to show you the list of Jazz must listen albums. Like those legendary Joe Coltrane and Miles Davis albums that people who love Jazz always talk about.
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  16. ASuch

ASuch The Salt Master

Believe it or not, I have made some progress on this. Let's get started here.

Lauryn Hill: She only has one solo album to speak of, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, so that was a pretty easy one to knock out. Really enjoyed this classic style of R&B with some funky vibes and some rap mixed in. The album was a bit long for my taste, but pretty much all of the songs are good. A few tracks were a bit grating, but there was nothing that really put me off. It was cool how she included the discussions with the teenagers, that was a nice touch and added to the album. I definitely want to listen to her work with the Fugees now, I'm excited for that.

Radiohead B-Sides: Good fucking lord they just can't stop producing greatness. I have listened to every B-Side from the collector's editions, minus all the TKOL remixes...So worth it. Many of these songs provide a different feeling from the main album and are really unique in their own way. Stuff like Banana Co., The Trickster, Lewis, Killer Cars, Talk Show Host, Polyethylene, Cuttooth, Last Flowers... I'm not mentioning a fuckton of others purely because there are a fuckton of others that are amazing. Most of the time these B-sides from other artists aren't too good; you pretty much know why they weren't included on the main album. But so many of these are impeccable. And hell, even while listening to more of Radiohead, I learned to even like TKOL and Pablo Honey a little bit. Pablo in particular has some pretty catchy songs, just very little overall that's particularly deep, and many of them sound the same...But anyway, since I've listened to everything I might as well give a ranking of all the Radiohead B-sides collections while we're here.

The Bends > Amnesiac > In Rainbows > OK Computer > Hail to the Thief > Pablo Honey > Kid A (its this low because the Collector's Edition is just live songs, nothing new)

And a ranking of all main Radiohead albums too, why not

In Rainbows > Kid A > A Moon Shaped Pool > OK Computer > Amnesiac > The Bends > Hail to the Thief > TKOL > Pablo Honey, with everything besides TKOL and Pablo Honey being at least an 8.5/10....yeah I love their albums
    • R.A.P. R.A.P. x 1