Splatoon 2 is right around the corner, and it’s going to hit us with a heavy dose of competitive shooting goodness. But are you ready to take your gaming to the next level with voice chat? We have some hot tips that will help you take full advantage of the human language, and the only things you need are millions of years of mammalian evolution and human technology, a.k.a. the tongue and the smartphone. Check it out!
- Download and Install the Nintendo Switch Online App on Your Smartphone. The Nintendo Switch Online app is designed to allow you and your friends to invite one another to a private lobby in Splatoon 2, where you will be able to chat with one another and form teams to go into battle. Once in a battle, you will only be able to chat with your teammates, to keep it fair.
- Uninstall and Delete the Nintendo Switch Online App. You can’t even talk to your friends in a regular match of Turf War, which is 99% the point of voice chat anyway. If you have a smartphone and a headset for this app, you have far better options, so don’t do this to yourselves.
- Use the Telephone. If you are among those of us that still have phone plans with unlimited talk (no cap on call minutes), you can simply call your friends and do whatever you want in Splatoon 2. You can play Turf War, League Battle, or Salmon Run, and be able to coordinate with them or talk trash when you splat them from behind. Or you can just chill in the plaza while you talk about work and stuff. Use a Bluetooth headset for an optimal hands-free experience.
- Download Discord. Or Skype. Or Slack. Any of these free services will allow you to create groups, join other groups, chat in text channels, or even join a voice channel. You can use a search engine like AskJeeves, Altavista, or Google to find communities filled with people eager to possibly make life-long friendships while playing their favorite games. I promise you, there will be many welcoming communities of Splatoon 2 players.
- Enjoy Splatoon 2 for the Incredible Game it Appears to Be. As someone that regularly chatted on the phone while playing Splatoon 1 with friends, I can only imagine how great of a time we will have with Splatoon 2. The levels appear to be more fun, the weapons more interesting, the specials brand new again, the Salmon Run co-op challenging and rewarding, and the ranked battle modes improved.
- Repeat steps 1-5 for Rocket League. And Pokken Tournament DX. And FIFA 18. And NBA 2k18. Don’t get bogged down by Nintendo’s bewildering decisions when it comes to online gaming. It takes minimal effort to assume control of your own gaming life and unlock the true potential hidden in their games, and other third party games on their systems.
Now that you’ve got the power in your own hands, it’s time to take it for a run! You can join us for our Splatoon 2 Release Game Night this Friday night. Whether you are early or late, drop by our Discord channel for some jolly cooperation or some salty trash-talk.